Sky on the go

Jan 3, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone here uses a satelite dish and takes their sky viewing card with them?
Can you just use any sky box with your card and is it a simple process to set up or more hastle than its worth?
We have a sky Q box at home btw.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
steve2019 said:
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone here uses a satelite dish and takes their sky viewing card with them?
Can you just use any sky box with your card and is it a simple process to set up or more hastle than its worth?
We have a sky Q box at home btw.
I thought that the card was registered to a particular box and couldn't be used in any other box. A few years ago, my brother in law, who has Sky Sports at home, tried to use it in my Sky Box (cheapskate that I am, I do not have Sky Sports), it didn't work.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
For some technical reason Sky Q boxes and their card are not easily used away from home. A Sky thing.
We still use our Sky + HD box. The real killer is the type of LNB used Sky + is easy. Sky Q has a different system and I suspect some "not away from home " things.

Our current away from home Sky + HD box and card work very well indeed,. Buy an electronic sat finder tool, not the five light buzzer thing.
See this link https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/satellitemeters_satcatcher_lacuna.htm

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Sky Q requires Internet connection to work, and the viewing card is incompatible with any previous box.
A Freesat-from-Sky viewing card (once off £25) or an expired subscription card will allow any earlier (i.e. non-Q box) to view free-to-air (FTA) channels wherever you are. If there are no premium channels (and with the two cards mentioned there will not be) then once activated the card can be used in any box. Indeed I am told that any subscription card that does not have premium channels (viz sport and movies) should also work in any box and will certainly work anywhere. However if the box has not been used for a while it may come up and say t cannot find particular channels even though you have a good signal: just leave the box on for 48 hours and it will come back and stay.
If you want to use it in Europe you will need a 60-65cm ovoid dish (i.e. not a Sky oval dish) and a small tripod BUT the footprint is such that reception is pretty good across the NW/SE of France down as far as the Jura and the W of France down as far as about the Vendee although on the edge alignment can be tricky to say the least. Certainly get a reception meter as Sky boxes are notoriously deaf and slow to respond when the signal level changes.
If you have an Android phone download (free) Satellite Director which will make life much much easier.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I take my Sky box with me, mainly because we go to places where the TV signal is poor. I have a Maxview portable satellite system which is easy to set up and use. Bear in mind that with Sky Q you need to make sure any dish you have had the correct LNB on it. I’ve recently had to buy a replacement for my Maxview system as the Sky Q uses a different one from the old Sky + System. In poor weather it just makes a change from reading/playing games etc but mainly I love F1 and it’s only on Sky! That’s my excuse anyway!!!

Nic

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Nicholasjahicks So you have and take Sky Q with you anywhere in the UK and together with a Maxview dish suitable for Sky Q get reception most anywhere? Just too be sure. Someone said that Sky Q boxes seem only to work at home something to do with internet?

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I have to be honest here. I’ve not yet taken the Sky Q box with me so I’m not sure about internet connection. For box sets films to download then yes you’ll need internet but for all the channels you subscribe to you shouldn’t need the internet. I plan to take it in the summer and see. Try speaking to the Sky and see what they say or Maxview who sell the portable dishes.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know it's not A Sky box, but we tend to down load a lot of TV films and documentaries to our Freeview DVD player and take that with us if we are away for a week and the weather is supposed to be rubbish, It weighs about 1.5 kg so not too heavy to take. Great for France,

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Nicholasjahicks pretty sure you are right. I did a simple test and turned my wifi off at home and sky worked. Obviously no internet related things worked like on demand Netflix etc. But the good news is Sky now offer via satellite Netflix as part of a bundle. Well thats what i understand

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Speaking just for myself I rarely find much worth watching on the box when at home so if I couldn’t manage without a tv fix while I was visiting new places I think it would be because the places I was going to were not worth the visit, I see lots of caravans with massive tv screens in that are rarely switched off, I think people are losing the ability to hold a conversation unless it’s discussing the latest soap or even worse the reality rubbish that seems to dominate all channels, people need to try and survive without tv you never know you might actually enjoy it.

BP

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Tv is one thing. SPORT is quite another. Lets start... cricket ODI in UK this year. RWC in Japan later in year. Hmmmmmmmm yes i need Sky Q

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Nicholasjahicks said:
I have to be honest here. I’ve not yet taken the Sky Q box with me so I’m not sure about internet connection. For box sets films to download then yes you’ll need internet but for all the channels you subscribe to you shouldn’t need the internet. I plan to take it in the summer and see. Try speaking to the Sky and see what they say or Maxview who sell the portable dishes.

Er, not a good idea to contact Sky. Contractually you are only supposed to use their equipment/service at the registered address of the customer so if they are 'feeling funny' they may and can cut you off, even from the FTA channels. Freesat of course comes under the same rules as you TV if away from home , i.e. it must have its own (battery) power supply etc etc. which they don't.
In terms of Interweb connection for a Sky Q you will probably have to set up some sort of VPN to mask your locations (i.e. so they think you are in the UK) - but its probably a waste of time anyway as the wi-fi on most sites is way tto slow for it to work.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Pretty sure a company would not sell rather expensive van Sky Q systems (https://www.maxview.co.uk/mobile-satellite-systems/roof-mount/connect-SKYQ-only-fully-automatic-satellite-system) if a customer could not use it while away in a van.
Sky Q does not require internet to work. The internet connections are for intetnet related services like catch up or Netflix etc.

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
Sky Q does work in caravan we have sky Q
You can't download but you can watch all your channels and ones you have recorded as well
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CZ2CYHR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1X8HFJN09C7DM&psc=1
www.amazon.co.uk/SATLink-WS-6933-Satellite-2-1-inch-Display-Black/dp/B00MWQAEJW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UO02EW6YQD6D&keywords=satlink+ws-6933&qid=1556393247&s=gateway&sprefix=Satlink%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-2

Jan 3, 2019
Visit site
Tina2047 said:
You can't download but you can watch all your channels and ones you have recorded as well
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CZ2CYHR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1X8HFJN09C7DM&psc=1
www.amazon.co.uk/SATLink-WS-6933-Satellite-2-1-inch-Display-Black/dp/B00MWQAEJW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UO02EW6YQD6D&keywords=satlink+ws-6933&qid=1556393247&s=gateway&sprefix=Satlink%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-2

thanks Tina, do you take your sky Q box with you, or do you have a 2nd box that stays in your van?

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
steve2019 said:
Tina2047 said:

thanks Tina, do you take your sky Q box with you, or do you have a 2nd box that stays in your van?

Take sky q box with us
Cable already in van comes out of gas box at front and easy to store it as well
Easy to set up using Google maps
For longitude & latitude & put into satlink and finds satalite easy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts