Slippery leather seats car seat

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Thought I would pop this in general:

Mrs Sproket has just got another car with full leather seats, but they are as slippery as ice :eek:hmy:

Has anybody found a suitable seat cover that wont damage the leather but will help to stop sliding about.

Thank you :p

cb9ba628-c895-4c8f-947c-9f4b74bbf67c_zps85d80a76.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We've had leather seats in our cars for the last 15 years with no " slippery" issues.
I clean the seats twice a year with Auto gym leather cleaner followed up with a good dose of Auto gym leather feed.
I suspect some materials used in clothing could make a difference.
The non slip mat stuff may help but I don't know if that would damage the leather.
Maybe search a breakers for fabric seats?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Cheers DD

We suspect it the clothing that is causing it... thought about some of that non slip stuff before i posted... also wondered if it been buffed up a bit when it was valeted before we collected it. :unsure:

I have leather seats in the truck & have experienced it myself ( I put that down to clothing at the time )

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sir Sprocket

I bet someone has sprayed them with a silicone polish. No wonder they are slippery. Try the leather cleaner.once dry the will look dull but not slippery. Experiment then with the leather feed.
good luck.maybe it's the silk you both wear.lol.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sproket. I - like Dustydog and I am many many others have had cars with full leather trim for many many years,indeed all of my last 6 Volvo estate cars have leather trim as standard as did my 1997 Rover 825i Sterling Auto.
As has been suggested the vehicle seats could have been sprayed or treated with any one of several inappropriate concoctions and that could include furniture polish as well as silicone polish.
The greatest issue is that many of the DIY leather cleaning episodes are carried out with chemical based products that contain harmful agents that will absolutely murder leather. The chemicals react with the protective lacquerers and can cause peeling/splitting of the leather and in extreme cases will even cause breakdown of the surface finish,often these are not tradition dyed finishes but painted ones and especially with the lighter and pastel shades that are in demand today. This applies to both Automotive and Domestic leathers.
One of the greatest killers of leather upholstery and automotive trimming leathers is detergents like Fairy & Persil and many others,the are all chemical based.
I only ever use the lather only from Stardrops and a clean white cloth,never over-wet because it will find the sewing holes and start the damage from beneath.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like some folks may not be wearing their jodhpurs when sitting on the leather seats....

3 day eventers and show jumpers don't seem to have too many problems in this respect.....

The mem sahib is rarely to be found not wearing her jod's (on leather seats or saddles!)

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
paws said:
Sounds like some folks may not be wearing their jodhpurs when sitting on the leather seats....

3 day eventers and show jumpers don't seem to have too many problems in this respect.....

The mem sahib is rarely to be found not wearing her jod's (on leather seats or saddles!)

Hi paws. Oddly,interestingly or sadly enough I am rather short in stature 4' 10 tall or short as you will and as a result tend to have the rear of my seat up a little higher than someone a few inches taller might well have it.
My recently sold 1997 Volvo V70 T5 CD Auto did have me sliding forward on occasions more than the 2005 V70 D5 SE Geartronic does. The later seat actually has a slightly greater knee bolster/roll at the front and movement in the seat is considerably less.
I have driven both cars many thousands of miles and consistently over the same routes both solo and towing the TA caravan,the later car certainly gives less need for repositioning on the move than did the 97 T5.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi TTR, and apologies for the delay in responding.
I have no experience at all with Volvos, so I'm afraid I cannot add anything useful in regard to their seating.
However when it comes to "slippery seats" then its a different matter!
Rather than selecting jodhpurs, it may be better to wear a pair of riding breeches.....they come to just below the knee, but on folks of more compact stature are just about full length.

They are of course really comfortable to wear, having usually a stretchy component
(essential for riding, but supremely comfortable for normal wear), and best of all have either a leather "seat" area, either of real suede or alternatively a faux suede that seams to do the job just as well.

This leather seat area of the breeches grips well on leather seats (or saddles!) and is therefore a great safety aid and stops the slipping and sliding that other wise can be so troublesome
If the car seats have had some form of slippery polish or silicone applied then a wipe over with a slightly damp rag with a little saddle soap ( just a smear) should do the trick. This should not cause any harm to the leather car seat, but to be on the safe side try first on a small inconspicuous area....
I hope this info is useful to you.... I find it a complete solution with the leather seats on my car.
Here's a link to a website that gives details of the breeches ( just as an example)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/200861549401?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Usual disclaimers apply( I have no connection with these people or manufacturers of breeches/jods etc.
Regards
paws

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
paws said:
Hi TTR, and apologies for the delay in responding.
I have no experience at all with Volvos, so I'm afraid I cannot add anything useful in regard to their seating.
However when it comes to "slippery seats" then its a different matter!
Rather than selecting jodhpurs, it may be better to wear a pair of riding breeches.....they come to just below the knee, but on folks of more compact stature are just about full length.

They are of course really comfortable to wear, having usually a stretchy component
(essential for riding, but supremely comfortable for normal wear), and best of all have either a leather "seat" area, either of real suede or alternatively a faux suede that seams to do the job just as well.

This leather seat area of the breeches grips well on leather seats (or saddles!) and is therefore a great safety aid and stops the slipping and sliding that other wise can be so troublesome
If the car seats have had some form of slippery polish or silicone applied then a wipe over with a slightly damp rag with a little saddle soap ( just a smear) should do the trick. This should not cause any harm to the leather car seat, but to be on the safe side try first on a small inconspicuous area....
I hope this info is useful to you.... I find it a complete solution with the leather seats on my car.
Here's a link to a website that gives details of the breeches ( just as an example)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/200861549401?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Usual disclaimers apply( I have no connection with these people or manufacturers of breeches/jods etc.

Regards
paws

Hi paws. I think that you have it wrong on this one!!!!! I did not post the original subject matter,I simply posted a reply.

TRENDING THREADS