small crack in paint work

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

On the the front of our caravan we have some small cracks below the windows (& a bit lower)

They are just unsightly dark cracks in the paintwork & it is an old caravan (1988 Abbey GT), So it's only Proberly wear & tear,But I would like to know if if there's anything I could use to tidy it up a bit?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve.

Don't worry about it would be my advice.

Like you, we have an older van. The odd crack is simply sorted out with a good sanding, a bit of weatherproof filler, and a bit of paint.

People these days are paranoid about every tiny little blemish. It's a Caravan. They live outdoors, and like houses, aeroplanes, tractors, ships and everything else, from time to time they will need a bit of maintenance. Explore your DIY options. You DON'T need expensive caravan repair shops to fix and older van. leave that option for those that take out second mortgages to buy their new style plastic palaces. Your (and my) van will still be going strong long after the plastic numbers have melted in the sun!! And YES. We DO have blown-air heating, microwave, a full kitchen, full electrics, a shower, TV and Audio, and all the rest. Fitted by us. A Labour of love.

We have had damp, cracks, leaks, rattles and shakes etc etc. The van A 1986 Lunar 520/4 is still going strong.

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve.

Don't worry about it would be my advice.

Like you, we have an older van. The odd crack is simply sorted out with a good sanding, a bit of weatherproof filler, and a bit of paint.

People these days are paranoid about every tiny little blemish. It's a Caravan. They live outdoors, and like houses, aeroplanes, tractors, ships and everything else, from time to time they will need a bit of maintenance. Explore your DIY options. You DON'T need expensive caravan repair shops to fix and older van. leave that option for those that take out second mortgages to buy their new style plastic palaces. Your (and my) van will still be going strong long after the plastic numbers have melted in the sun!! And YES. We DO have blown-air heating, microwave, a full kitchen, full electrics, a shower, TV and Audio, and all the rest. Fitted by us. A Labour of love.

We have had damp, cracks, leaks, rattles and shakes etc etc. The van A 1986 Lunar 520/4 is still going strong.
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your advice!

Like yourself we love our little old van! Its our 1st van & we must of "dropped lucky" because she's warm & dry& still no signs of damp!(Not like some I've seen in 2nd hand dealers)

Which sort of paint do you suggest I should use for the exterior?

Thanks again

Steven

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your advice!

Like yourself we love our little old van! Its our 1st van & we must of "dropped lucky" because she's warm & dry& still no signs of damp!(Not like some I've seen in 2nd hand dealers)

Which sort of paint do you suggest I should use for the exterior?

Thanks again

Steven
We did ours with B&Q outdoor gloss. Looks great, and you can change colours if you want to. When we repainted it (with brushes, several people on site said what a fabulous job we'd made of it.

I fall about laughing sometimes when I see people writing on here about suing dealers, and all the rest of it, because their poncy little home on wheels has got an odd mark here and there.

Caravans are great fun, and a bit of fair wear and tear is to be expected. People who want to be homeproud should stay at home in my humble opinion. Half these morons wouldn't know one end of a hammer or screwdriver from the other.

Like you, we love our 'old' van, and as we can't afford a new one, so we look after it, and couldn't care less what other people think of it. Happy Caravanning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts