small crack

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Just purchased a used 2002 sterling caravan today and the dealer told me there is a small crack above the window, that when i looked, i could hardly see.

On the warranty sheet it says exclusions and this is mentioned saying they will not repair it under warranty.

I asked the salesman if this would get worse and eventually let water in and he said no its just a stress crack.

The crack is not open and is hardly noticable.

Can anybody shed light on this problem as we have paid £500 deposit today.Will it get worse, it is just above the centre window.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simon, I would suggest that the salesman is not telling you the truth!!(would they really do that?)

If as he says, it is a stress crack, then something is causing the stress, and despite what he says, unless the cause is found and remedied, then the chances are IT WILL GET BIGGER.

Any imperfection in the fabric of the van is a potential water ingress point, if not now, then later in the scale of things.

If the salesman is not prepared to put in writing, what he has told you,then personally I would demand my deposit back, and walk away.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Personally I would ask him to replace the window now. If its the front window get him to do all three. I have a bad experience with windows, they come back in differnt colours and with a different trim ie hinge.

Good luck

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Simon, as has already been said, your dealer is trying to fob you off with a 'van which will very shortly need the front panel replaced at great expense. Unless this is going to be put right properly before you take the 'van then walk away. There are various laws surrounding "non-returnable" deposits, but basically your dealer has broken his end of the contract by failing to supply goods of the appropriate standard. It may take some time and possibly a legal letter but you will get your money back.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Walk away from the van, or you will be asking for trouble. We had a tiny stress fracture appear on one of our former vans (which was still under warranty). When we took it in for service we had a damp test run on it and found that, yes indeed, there was signs of damp around that area! Water is amazing and can get in through the tiniest of cracks.

It appears that the Salesman is trying to off load a caravan without having to undertake further work on it under warranty. If you have problems getting your deposit back, have a word with Trading Standards. One call from the might well seal the deal.

Go to a more reliable dealership and see what they can offer you from their forecourt.

Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yep! Walk away!

The crack is there for a reason. If it is stress then it can only get worse. You have to ask the question what is wrong with the whole thing such that a stress crack has formed in the first place?

As others have stated - water WILL get in.

That van needs a proper repair.

Get your deposit back and buy elswhere.

Never trust a salesman - It may have had "one careful owner" and a dozen or so not so careful ones!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
When we bought a previous used van from a well known Surrey dealer.They pointed out a couple of very minor fault points and invited us to look for any others that could then be remedied in the free pre delivery service that was offered and the PDI.

Ant fault is a potential bigger problem. Money back and walk away!

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Spoke to the salesman this morning at lowdhams, he says it is in the gel coating they are going to repair it, take the stress crack off the warranty so it is covered.

He has had the caravan repairer look at it, who has said it is nothing to worry about has the crack is not in the external paintwork, but as i said they will repair it.

I bought my last caravan from them, there was a bubbling on one of the panels which i was told was rust, they repaired it and made a great job.

My wifes loves the caravan, we are going to still have it but i am going to take an extra two years warranty out.

What do you think ?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Simon,

When I was flying, I used to do a simple repairs to my GRP sailplane - like gel-coat cracks and whacks from ice.

If the crack is in a front GRP panel, and is away from any obvious stress points - like a screw hole, edge of a window frame, or anywhere there is a fixture - then it is rather likely that the crack was initiated by a stone flipped up from the road.

The repairer will probably use a mini-drill to excavate the crack, then fill it with matching gel-coat resin. This should then be just as solid as the rest of the panel.

Robert

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I still think your wisest move would be to walk away. There are so many vans on the market that I am sure your wife will be able to find 'a like'. I certainly wouldn't take out extra insurance --- just throwing good many after bad. Still its your cash!!! for now.

May 8, 2005
Visit site
I think i have got a similar problem with my van. I have noticed under the window that a small section of the grp has broken away (looks like a stone has hit it). The whole is probally 2mm across. It looks like its just the pastic as there is a gel based material underneath. Its not really noticeable bu should it be repaired. If so how easy is it and how do you do it.

Thanks, and sorry for posting another problem on the same thread

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If van front is GRP, the smooth outer finish is the gel coat, not the stuff underneath tha would be glass fibre mat and resin!

The best repairs are done from the reverse side !

trained in fibre glass repairs and work so know a little bit ;-)

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Simon, I would suggest that the salesman is not telling you the truth!!(would they really do that?)

If as he says, it is a stress crack, then something is causing the stress, and despite what he says, unless the cause is found and remedied, then the chances are IT WILL GET BIGGER.

Any imperfection in the fabric of the van is a potential water ingress point, if not now, then later in the scale of things.

If the salesman is not prepared to put in writing, what he has told you,then personally I would demand my deposit back, and walk away.
I have tried for a week to get my deposit back, they keep saying it is nothing to worry about, have offered me a 3 year warranty and said they will transfer it to another van.

I don`t want any of the above only my deposit back as they say it is now in perfect working order.

I have contacted consumer direct and they have advised me.

JUST BEWARE LOWDHAMS HUDDERSFIELD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts