Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem is generally due to one of the following decomposing food caught in pipework or the ridged flexible plastic piping used for the drains. Milton is excellent although it is only a refined bleach for food use! Crawl under the van, put a cork in the outlets, fill slowly with cleaner and leave to stand. Repeat as necessary. Keep fingers crossed there are no leaks in the pipework!

I have also used crushed Steradent tablets - the foaming action works sometimes.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
My advice would be to bung up the outlet and then slowly run water until the system is full. As you may have linked outlet to the tow sinks keep your eye on both as you fill. Add some disinfectant as you fill. Leave to soak. Pull the bung out and see what comes out. Often bits get trapped in the corrugated piping and these may all gush out too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Every time you have finished using the caravan and especially before winter storage flush out the pipe with boiling water to remove as much grease /fat as you can and then pour some Thetford Tank Freshener down the sink/shower outlet, do not flush it away. It is intended for grey waste water tanks but it will eliminate smells in waste outlets as well.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have tried many things. I find that Thetford Tank Freshener is the best. You still need to use this quite frequently.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a tip to be careful with the Milton Sterilising Fluid.It can damage your sink so much so that it can actually corrode and cause holes in the stainless steel.

I always flush well and wipe out the sink.I also think it does what it says on the bottle but does not breakdown anything trapped in the pipework.I agree with the previous comments regading using Thetford tank cleaner.it also smells nice..

regards john.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts