smoking

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Not yet (unless its a company vehicle), but it should be.

It should also be against the law for mothers to turn around to shout at their kid whilst driving, having two women in the front seats (why cant they hold a discussion without looking at each other, especially as one of them is driving?), people wearing flat caps and driving Volvos.

Oh I could go on for weeks!!!

We`d all end up walking!

Or maybe thats the governments intention?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
benny, in todays Britain anything to do with driving can be construed to have broken some law or other. As more and more powers are devolved from the Police to local councils and Transport for London etc. there will be more and more enforcement of petty regulations with the aim of making driving unattractive and to bring in income to the councils.

To answer your question there is no law that bans smoking whilst driving but a Police Officers can report you for Driving Without Due Care if, in their opinion your smoking, was contributing to the fact. They can be very zealous in this as in the instance of the lady who was prosecuted for eating an apple or another driver who took a swig of water from a bottle whilst waiting at traffic lights.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
benny, in todays Britain anything to do with driving can be construed to have broken some law or other. As more and more powers are devolved from the Police to local councils and Transport for London etc. there will be more and more enforcement of petty regulations with the aim of making driving unattractive and to bring in income to the councils.

To answer your question there is no law that bans smoking whilst driving but a Police Officers can report you for Driving Without Due Care if, in their opinion your smoking, was contributing to the fact. They can be very zealous in this as in the instance of the lady who was prosecuted for eating an apple or another driver who took a swig of water from a bottle whilst waiting at traffic lights.
off course this does not apply to "company vehicles" which are considered as places of work under the new smoking regulations. I believe though that you cannot be prosecuted by the Police in this case but only by the council who have set up the smoking ban in their area but I may be wrong.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Another two cases of Daily Mail urban myths I'm afraid.

It is true that smoking at the wheel could be considered a factor in a "without due care and attention" case. It would not, however, be sufficient on it's own.

Personally, I would like to see some proper enforcement of the mobile phone law - it seems to have made no difference down here!

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I whole heartedly agree with Oldfogey ..... the "mobile phone law" appears to have made little difference from what I have seen.

Steve

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps if frontline police officers didn't have to spend hours inside the station completing paperwork, the mobile phone law could be seriously enforced.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It goes to show you cannot trust the Government then. We were told when the camera partnerships set up that they would free traffic policemen to do real road policing. All that happened is they cut the numbers of dedicated traffic officers and some forces disbanded their road policing departments. I travel thousands of miles on business and hardly ever see a traffic car except at the attendance of an accident. The same was supposed to happen with CSPO's, real Police Officers were going to be freed up to tackle real problems - has it happened?

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

You are very accurate in your summary of policing today.

If you would like to know more, can I recommend that you have a look here: http://pcbloggs.blogspot.com/ and here http://coppersblog.blogspot.com/

Martin.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I would like to see the police having a purge on those who break the law of the road most , the cyclists! Has anyone ever seen one obeying the law ???

I believe they are exstinct .

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I'm a cyclist regularly cycling up to 125 miles a day. I pay my road tax (for my car) but don't add to co2 emmisions daily. I stop at red lights. Don't ride on pavements or park on them to prevent prams and wheel chairs passing. I don't assume a double yellow line is a challenge between myself and a traffic policeman. Yes, you see the the anti social idiot who ignors every rule of the road both behind the wheel and occasionally on a bicycle but don't tarr us all with the same brush. There are probably more bad drivers than cyclists!

Regards

Denise

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Denise, you may be interested in an article in my local papoer this evening headlined " Police: We can't stop dangerous cyclists".

There have been numerous complaints about cyclists putting lives at risk of their speeding on footpaths and the promenade between Poole and bournemouth.

Te Police say "such offences are not a priority because they are not official home Office performance indicators. They do not appear in the Dorset police control strategy either leaving little Police time to deal with them.

There is another article in the paper regarding the "super wardens" currently under training with the purpose of issuing FPN to smokers who discard their cigarette stubs onto footpaths.

It looks as though you have nothing to fear in todays Britain.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
And to add my bit to what RAY C has said:

I can state from personal experiences over some years that if/when a Police Officer reports a cyclist for contravening a red traffic light or other similar offence there is little or no chance of it going to court. The Crown Prosecution Service would (almost certainly) say that it is not in the public interest.

ps: I am not a cyclist !!

Steve

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
"there are probably more bad drivers than cyclists!"

Totally agree with that statement for sure. but then there are 1000 times more vehicles being used than cycles! and then there are those bad cyclist who are just as bad when they are driving!!!!

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I'm a cyclist and many cyclists are down right danger to them selves and others on the road. Most carry no insurance and there is no way of indentifying them when they creat dangerous sittuations.

The police go for easy pickings, drive a nice car so you have money!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Harry, because something is against the law or has been "banned" does not mean that the law enforcement agencies will enforce it. If you introduce laws that are not self enforcing or can be reasonably enforced then the system becomes farcical.

If it is not part of the governments strategy or the local police plan then it will not be a priority.

By the way who is responsible for enforcing the smoking ban? It is not the Police and I believe it is not caravan site owners. I think it is councils who will only be able to enforce it in very limited circumstances.

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
In life, theres always going to be bad drivers and cyclist alike who should,nt be on the road, im a cyclist , and cycle to and from work, and i pay, sorry get robbed for road tax like the rest of us, but would a bad cyclist be a bad cyclist if he or she were to contribute in a small road tax, i think hear it a simple slaying on cyclist,s because they dont pay towards road use, oh yes you car,nt smoke in a site lavvie, its public place. john

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Harry,

Yes it is. Since the ban came into force in Scotland, it has been a pleasure for non-smokers everywhere! As a matter of interest, it's also illegal to smoke in a bus shelter if it is enclosed on three sides.

Enforcement is, supposedly, carried out by council employees but I have never seen any. They must be around, however, as there has been a prosecution reported in the press.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
If a chip was put in every new car ..and all others at 1st service and older ones at next M.O.T to stop Phone working when engine running problem solved

Rita

TRENDING THREADS