Snake oil "energy saving solutions"

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you insulate a home too well, won't it cause other problems like condensation and other health issues? Are our summers warmer than Canada as that may be another issue during summer months.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you insulate a home too well, won't it cause other problems like condensation and other health issues? Are our summers warmer than Canada as that may be another issue during summer months.
Can

I lived in Ottawa and summers there were warmer than here, and with winter going down on occasions to -40 deg C and F. The house was easy and relatively cheap to keep warm, it had to be as I had to pay my own heating costs. It did not suffer condensation.

Yes a sturdy Jeep too.

6F858877-E07C-404A-9BAA-7A8353B13EBE.jpeg

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Condensation can be dealt with by improved ventilation, which needs heat exchangers in a well-insulated property.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As others have said the weather conditions in Ottawa and BC are usually far more extreme than we see in the UK. Like OC I have seen both temperatures of+ 40C and winter of down to -30C ( and relatives have reported -50C in parts of BC. Ironically in winter they often like to keep snow on the roof, as despite it being cold, it acts as an additional layer of insulation against the much colder winds, hence the reason for roofs with generally lower pitches than in the UK.

The construction standards are far stricter regarding insulation (probably set state by state) and condensation is managed by the correct placement of vapour barriers in insulation, and heat exchanged ventilation.

Most heating in BC uses blown hot air - probably a tradition but it also solve the problem of freezing CH pipes if its turned off for any reason.

As regards the density of housing, Even in BC there is call for high density housing in towns and cities which sees a type of construction known as "multiplex's" These are terraced properties with about a 5.5m frontage, and these still have to meet the state building codes.

I'm not sure if a Canadian construction method could be used in the UK, but if it could we would see properties with much improved heating costs.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have friends who live in Kelowna in BC and apparently the winter in their area is quite mild in comparison to the rest of Canada. Actually not much different to the highveld winter in South Africa.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Interesting that Santander report that in May this year figures show that buyers are prepared to pay more for more energy efficient homes. The averaged Premuim being £26.6k or 9.4%. Santander expects that figure will have increased over the summer sales period.

So more than I paid for this house in 1982. o_O

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It was reported in last Saturdays Times, that’s why on the thread about controllers for solar panels I mentioned it and recommended purchasing from an established outlet and/or brand. The more so after seeing John C‘s battered battery. There are good quality Chinese products but buyers need to take some care in selecting what they require. The Which report also covered high levels safety defects on some brands of electric blankets and Christmas lights too as purchased from online sources such as EBay and Amazon.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts