SNAKING

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ann, I am sure that your Volvo XC is an excellent tow car, but you say that you have encounted this problem, since changing from your V70. This would indicate a miss match of some sort, which is why I suggested changing the tow ball height. It could be simply an aerodynamic problem; the XC being slightly taller may be pushing the air around the caravan in a different way. A small change such as the Tow ball height may be enough to remedy the problem. A roof spoiler may do the trick too.

I have just read your answer to my Question Ann.

The reason I asked about the tow ball being cleaned is that the pads on your stabiliser, I'm presuming you have the hitch type, may be contaminated. Ask any of the regulars here and you will find that you do need to remove the paint from the tow ball before you use a hitch type stabiliser. The fact that it simply dropped off when you got home probably means that your friction pads are contaminated, it's not an expensive job to fix, but I would still present the bill to the Volvo dealer.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lol

We thought it might be contamination on the Alko pads and I did suggest to my husband that we take it back to the fitter and get it checked. You have made up our mind for us. We are also going to hand the Invoice for payment to the Volvo dealer who was adamant that the paint need not be cleaned off before use and see what happens. Will let you know what happens.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't forget that whatever the height of the towball, the noseweight must be measured at that same height and NOT with the caravan standing level, as some people do.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Luzt - taken your argument on board!

We have been down to our local Volvo dealer today. He was aghast! Shouldn't have trouble towing with our new car! Told him we are contacting Alko to find out what the problem might be. Going to contact Volvo Customer Services next - wait for the outcome!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
As promised I am back with a report!!!

My husband has been in touch with ALKO who have told us that we were given incorrect information with regard to the newly fitted towball. PLEASE NOTE: ALL PAINT SHOULD BE REMOVED PRIOR TO ACTUALLY TOWING!!! Alko were very helpful and told my husband how to cure the snaking problem.

Apparently whilst towing the paint from the towbar polished the stabilizer making it like glass! It can be rectified however and in due course we will try the 'clean up' suggested by ALKO.

ALKO are also contacting the dealership themselves. This will also back our case should the 'clean-up' not work.

The dealership have so far been very helpful and I look forward to getting it sorted out.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
As promised I am back with a report!!!

My husband has been in touch with ALKO who have told us that we were given incorrect information with regard to the newly fitted towball. PLEASE NOTE: ALL PAINT SHOULD BE REMOVED PRIOR TO ACTUALLY TOWING!!! Alko were very helpful and told my husband how to cure the snaking problem.

Apparently whilst towing the paint from the towbar polished the stabilizer making it like glass! It can be rectified however and in due course we will try the 'clean up' suggested by ALKO.

ALKO are also contacting the dealership themselves. This will also back our case should the 'clean-up' not work.

The dealership have so far been very helpful and I look forward to getting it sorted out.
"It can be rectified however and in due course we will try the 'clean up' suggested by ALKO."

Can you tell us what the clean up as suggested by Alko is please?

We are new to caravanning, When I signed for the caravan I took the ALKO ball with us so that the mobile fitter used it rather than the bog standard one. When we picked the van up, all the dealer queried was if there was any grease on the ball. They hitched it first time so would of seen the paint. Im now concerned that the pads on our stabiliser are contaminated!

Do you think that our dealer is liable for the remedial work if it isnt a quick, cheap home solution?

Thanks

Steve

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
Sorry if I am repeating what anyone else says but theres so many responses. What I would say is that you cannot really avoid the suction effect but you can remove some of the effect with such things as stabilizers, but even so, you cannot make much difference. I am a driver of either a large van or a 7.5tonne lorry and whenever I over take, I try and use the furthest lane to avoid causing distress to fellow caravanners, I would say to do the same or at lease keep as far right as possible when passing and always remember that when you pass a vehicle it sucks you in as you have passed and the oposite when being passed. I have recently read in an article that vehicles fitted with so called driving aids called ESP, the vehicles computer takes over if it feels the car twitch as you feel when snaking, the computer thinks its an uncontrollable skid and takes over to aleviate the problem. This could cause problems. I'd recommend looking into this further as it is said to be quite dangerous and if you can switch it off you should. I think it was in last months caravan magazine, the test car was a Mercedes A Class. Hope this has bee of some help to you.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I am surprised at your apparent disapproval of ESP when towing, Barry. Actually, ESP works a good deal faster in a critical situation than any average driver and with a lot less chance of reacting incorrectly. Further developments of ESP (such as the Trailer Stability Programme of the Vauxhall Astra) even include an electronic stabiliser as an additional feature in the package.

TRENDING THREADS