snobbery again

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Think I've seen it all now. We all have probably had enough of the yap on this subject, but I couldn't resist sharing this observation. We have just got back from staying on a site that was boardering on a paddy field. One caravanner everytime he came back to his van just couldn't resist washing the tyres on his bog standard clio and even Sunday moring had to wash the whole car. Needless to say my car was filthy, and who cares we expect dirt on a field! Wonder what he'd do when the seagulls attack??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Or perhaps just a proud owner of his particular car who likes to see it in pristine condition. Nothing wrong in that. Not that I would be doing that though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve just who is the Snob here, using words like bog standard, get a life and stop looking down on others. This man is just proud of what his got and maybe he just wants to look after it no matter what the thing costs, what maybe bog standard to you might just be somebody elses pride and joy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must be the worlds biggest snob because I love my car to look clean, not always possible I know but where ever and when ever it is possible I wash it if needed. If that snobbery I'm the worlds biggest.

Mike

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I thought the reference to bog was the state of the pitch when several gallons of suds and then rinse had been liberally applied to the Clio. Actually you should watch out for pigeon or more particularly seagull droppings along with cow dung that have the magical properties of ruining the paintwork for ever!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mines a Passat TDi company car - cleaned once a week (>650 miles a week), Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner, tyre cleaner, bumper cleaner used, glass polish, etc, etc, etc. 62,000 miles, looks like new 'cause I like to keep it clean - simple as that! Obsessive-compulsive indeed and proud of it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You must be one of the people that gives me funny looks when I wash my van on site,I paid a lot of money for both car and caravan so I wish to keep them both looking good, so please get your self a life. I bet you wish you had not put up the posting now.

regards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

So while your sat on your a--se watching at least s/he is doing something.

I LOVE cleaning our cars, flippin heck get a grip. OOh and bog standard?? so what?? its there pride and joy !!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well it was interesting tweeking that raw nerve of doing the same old things while on holiday. I make a point of leaving my watch, alarm clock computer etc at home, and just get on with doing what I believe caravanning is all about, "getting away from the hum drum of town/city life". Just to wind you sunday car cleaners up, my car is still dirty a fortnight on from our holiday. Am I worried, am I hell! Lifes too short to have hang ups, all I want is fun.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

Thats fine, leave your car dirty for as long as you want, my beef is whay have ago at someone else purely for cleaning their car?? not only that the 'bog' standard part?? why??

off to clean my cars... :eek:)

scott

May 2, 2005
Visit site
OK, so the original post is maybe a bit OTT. However all you folk who ridicule Steve, might want to consider this, and I have checked.

Most, if not all sites, are classed as "commercial" with local councils. This means that they have a metered water supply with the result that they pay for every drop that the site uses, so we, the pitch hirers, pay for the water supply in icreased pitch fees. If everyone abuses the supply of water then the site fees will rise.

Steve mentions the subject, perhaps as a sarcastic comment, but the reality of the "wasteful use of water" means that we all pay for some "posers".

If you want to wash your car, use a car wash. That way, you pay for the shiny car look and we do not.

Bet I touch a nerve with this reply, but I challenge anyone to defend the "waste of water" attitude.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This argument is similar to the hornet's nest I disturbed regarding setting up a sky satelite dish. Why go away in a caravan and worry about all these menial things - the idea of a caravan holiday in my opinion is to relax, enjoy yourselves nd meet like minded people. I wash and Hoover my car prior to the holiday and then may possibly clear papers, etc. from inside car during holiday if it gets clutterd, apart from this I relax, see the surrounding sights and don't worry about satelite tv, dirty car, etc. If you are going down this route why not stay at home where all these amenities are available and leave caravaning to the others who see this as a relaxing hobby and not as a snobbery exercise.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't quite see what washing the car has got to do with snobbery. I don't when I go on holiday unless it gets absolutely filthy but if others have the urge to keep theirs clean, that's OK by me and none of my business. Likewise, we have a satellite dish and don't expect others to even give it a thought to why. Caravanning gives us time to enjoy watching TV for any length of time without being plagued by the thought of really having more important things to do around the house or in the garden. Everybody should have a right to set their own priorities to suit their own situation and, so long as these don't impose on others, they're entitled to do whatever makes them happy. On that basis, the only justifiable argument against washing the car is the one that David mentions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think there's anything more satisfying than making your car ( and caravan) look nice and shiny.

I know it's a fallacy but my car always seems to go better when it's had a bit of TLC lavished upon it. Apart from that I think the look of your car says a lot about you. A looked after car will always fetch more when you come to get rid of it.

In case you're wondering - my car is a 2004 Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Dti Club. They don't come more bog standard than that but it suits me just fine! Mucho mpg, cheaper road tax, cheaper servicing, cheaper insurance. Luvly jubbly!

Vic

Vic

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
I don't think there's anything more satisfying than making your car ( and caravan) look nice and shiny.

I know it's a fallacy but my car always seems to go better when it's had a bit of TLC lavished upon it. Apart from that I think the look of your car says a lot about you. A looked after car will always fetch more when you come to get rid of it.

In case you're wondering - my car is a 2004 Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Dti Club. They don't come more bog standard than that but it suits me just fine! Mucho mpg, cheaper road tax, cheaper servicing, cheaper insurance. Luvly jubbly!

Vic

Vic
i agree 100% , nowt better than a clean outfit. Ours is 11 years old , car and van but i bet there wont be many newer outfits that gleam as much as ours.both are always polished before we go away , tyres done with foam cleaner , alloy wheels polished up , plastic trim cleaned etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts