snow chains ?

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
I have had snow chains for a number of years which have been a good thing, but are not the easiest things to fit, a few years ago I saw a different idea which was two ell shaped flat bars like an x with a spring at the centre does anyone know what I am talking about and if so where could I get a pair. Thanks allan

Aug 25, 2005
Visit site
Are the chains for the car or caravan? A great thing we have on fore engine is rotating drop down snow chains, they are fitted just before the rear wheel & flail infront of the wheel provided traction then can be retracted via a switch in the cab. Look out for an old fire engine & try these out

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had some of the wheel "chains" you describe for about 25 years and found them excellent for snow and mud.

I got them from a lawn mower shop !!! but they no longer stock them.

Sadly as tyres have got wider they will no longer fit my vehicle now (I used them on a series of Citroen BX's)

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Allan,

I've had a set of these for about 20 years but I haven't seen another set since. They were called "snow grip" or something. They are only for getting you out of a stuck situation and you cannot drive more than a few hundred yards at max 5 mph only. They are not designed to replace snow chains - only to get you out of trouble. On the other hand they take about 10 seconds each to fit.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Check your vehicles handbook whether snow chains of any type can be fitted.

Many vehicles nowadays have "summer" tyres too wide to allow snow chains but may be fitted with "winter" tyres of a narrower size which may allow snow chains.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to all who replied to my question about snow chains I have since been on E- Bay and there is a big choice there

Thanks again Allan

TRENDING THREADS