SNOW - Yes or No?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
hello david, i can understand your concern for your livestock...but dont take away the bit of fun we are having...it should be gone in a few days...so you will probably have what you prefer...and mine...ill have to wait another 10 years...regards edwina
ed

I would not dream of doing that, years gone by I would tow the children behind the tractor on an old door, as I feed the animals, we have no hills in this part of Suffolk.

Have fun and enjoy it whilst it lasts we have a thaw set in now and its melting.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
'Wimpworld' is easy to say - but when I was growing up my school was within walking distance, my dad could cycle to work, or walk, and no one had a car. All the school teachers lived nearby, usual within walking distance too, and so even in deep snow the schools never closed.

These day my OH works in York (45 miles away)- and once the roads are chocked up with traffic he can be three hours getting to work, and even longer getting home. My friend is a teacher, and one of her colleagues drives 50 miles to work each day - so if the roads are bad she can't get there. Parents, too, have to set off early to drive to work in the snow, so they need to know early if they'll have to take the kids into school. Then there are the 'Health and Safety regulatons' which state the minimum numbers of staff who have to been in school in order for it to be a 'safe environment'. The safe option, for everyone, is to close the school - after all even the government websites state 'don't drive unless your journey is absolutely essential'.

I don't condone the schools closing like they do - but it really is the most practical solution for everyone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am inclined to agree with Roger - fair enough people do commute further than when I was a child - we also walked to school and teachers lived locally. We enjoyed school in the snow - slides in the yard, snowball fights, etc. I worked since 1975 either in Pontypridd or Neath - both being a distance of approx 22 miles each way from home and very rarely did I miss work through snow. Today the H&S brigade has made us a load of wimps, even closed one school because the teachers' car parking area was icy. So what????????

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi David

But don't you feed them anyway in the winter?

Lisa
LMH

Yes of cause we do come sunshine rain and snow but snow seems to get everywhere.in my clothing and boots. thank heavens the wind was no to strong. Also no matter what we do for the animals they always seem so down wet and cold , just like me. I love to see snow on Christmas cards when I am by a nice warm fire. But you enjoy it each to thier own

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Well, not really any snow here, woke up to a light covering but it dissapeared rapidily. Had a flurry on the afternoon but nothing sticking to wet!!

Today absolutely georgeous sunny day, cold but no snow.

Papers saying snow, worst daownfall since 1991, where?

When I lived in Chesterfield just moved into house winter of 94/95 that was a downfall we had 8".

Watched the news and if snow is coming we might get some tomorrow(wednsday afternoon) I'll just wait and see....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Snow - b****y hate the stuff - just got in from walking the dog and slipped on ice and hurt my lower back, right elbow and right hand. Keep the stuff on Christmas cards - roll on global warming.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to learn that you've slipped and hurt yourself Colin. I hope that you feel better soon.

You don't think that it's 'schoolteachers revenge' do you?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear Colin,

Hope you don't hurt too much this morning.

Now my boy, if you had listened to the H&S and stayed at home????

Another snow downfall here last night. Going to brave the fields with the dogs, they love it.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Parksy - although you are a moderator on this forum it is obvious that you do not pay much attention to the postings. I will therefore repeat my previous postings whereby I stated that I was a College Lecturer and NOT a school teacher. We had more holidays, greater salary and worked less hours. More important it impressed the neighbours when saying that one was a lecturer and not just a mere teacher. Now the important part - cannot do the smiley icon things so will say LOL.

It did hurt at the time and when I got home my wife made a fuss of the dog because he was cold but laughed when I said that I had slipped on the ice. No sympathy at all. I asked her if she was coming out with me this evening with the dog and she replied that she did not want to go sliding on ice. I just cannot win on times.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Colin

I wasn't trying to demote you because I knew that you were a college lecturer and that you would have had a better class of trip than a teachers.

The reason that I mentioned 'teachers revenge' is that in an earlier post you mentioned that the 'H&S brigade made us a load of wimps because they'd closed a school because the teachers' car parking area was icy'.

So Colin my friend you must surely admit that I have been paying attention to the postings. When dealing with lecturers one must always expect them to ask questions later :0)

As a college lecturer did you have those leather patches on the elbows of your jacket to absorb the fall?

I hope that you stayed upright this evening when you took the dog out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Colin

Worse here today than yesterday. The maimsahib cancelled the Derby and Joan Club for today. Now means I'm down the townhall painting another coat of oil on our new floor. No heating on either!

Cheers

Dustydog

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WOW!

It's bad here this morning, no buses, all the schools and colleges closed.

Hope you're feeling better Colin.

Lisa

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,we are on a site in Oxfordshire and we have had arounnd 6.5 inches,don't mind it for a couple of days but then it gets on my nerves.Ya know what's coming after the snow!!!!!yep FLOODS.ah well good old Mother nature.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Snowing now. 5" overnight.

Very pretty but hard for the postman and others who have to work in this.

Cheers

Dustydog

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Snowed in today hear in Tiverton, cant get the car out of the road onto main roads which are clear now. 7 inches at least this morning, couldnt tell where the road ended and pavement began

Kevin

May 25, 2008
Visit site
White Out here in Aberdeenshire started around 11am and not stopped. About 4" in an Hour !!!! Will give either Grantown or Invercauld a miss this weekend.

G

I discovered this in the comments section of or local 'hootsmon' newspaper. Seemed quite apt.

Quote:

you'd think the world had came to an end last week, because it had snowed in London.

Yet People up in the North of the Country have to cope with this, without it making National News. !

Anyway someone sent me this, that just sums up the BBC news down south,

50F degrees

People in southern England turn on the central heating

People in Edinburgh plant out bedding plants

40F degrees

Southerners shiver uncontrollably

Glaswegians sunbathe on the beach at Largs

35F degrees

Cars in the south of England refuse to start People in Falkirk drive

with their windows down

20F degrees

Southerners wear overcoats, gloves and woolly hats Aberdonian men throw

on a T-shirt; girls start wearing mini-skirts

15F degrees

Southerners begin to evacuate to the continent People from Dundee swim

in the River Tay at Broughty Ferry

Zero degrees

Life in the south grinds to a halt

Inverness folk have the last BBQ before it gets cold

Minus 10F degrees

Life in the south ceases to exist

People in Dunfermline throw on a light jacket

Minus 80F degrees

Polar bears wonder if it's worth carrying on

Boy Scouts in Oban start wearing their long trousers

Minus 100F degrees

Santa Claus abandons North Pole

People in Stirling put on their 'long johns'

Minus 173F degrees

Alcohol freezes

Glaswegians get upset because all the pubs are shut

Minus 297F degrees

Microbial life starts to disappear

The cows in Dumfriesshire complain about farmers with cold hands

Minus 460F degrees

All atomic motion stops

Shetlanders stamp their feet and blow on their hands

Minus 500F degrees

Hell freezes over

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
I discovered this in the comments section of or local 'hootsmon' newspaper. Seemed quite apt.

Quote:

you'd think the world had came to an end last week, because it had snowed in London.

Yet People up in the North of the Country have to cope with this, without it making National News. !

50F degrees

40F degrees

35F degrees

with their windows down

20F degrees

on a T-shirt; girls start wearing mini-skirts

15F degrees

Southerners begin to evacuate to the continent People from Dundee swim

in the River Tay at Broughty Ferry

Zero degrees

Life in the south grinds to a halt

Inverness folk have the last BBQ before it gets cold

Minus 10F degrees

Life in the south ceases to exist

People in Dunfermline throw on a light jacket

Minus 80F degrees

Polar bears wonder if it's worth carrying on

Boy Scouts in Oban start wearing their long trousers

Minus 100F degrees

Santa Claus abandons North Pole

People in Stirling put on their 'long johns'

Minus 173F degrees

Alcohol freezes

Glaswegians get upset because all the pubs are shut

Minus 297F degrees

Microbial life starts to disappear

The cows in Dumfriesshire complain about farmers with cold hands

Minus 460F degrees

All atomic motion stops

Shetlanders stamp their feet and blow on their hands

Minus 500F degrees

Hell freezes over

Quote:

50F degrees

40F degrees

35F degrees

with their windows down

20F degrees