So did you respect / were YOU nice to caravan drivers before ...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do you only respect them, and think nothing of it when you are stuck behind one....because you are a owner yourself, and was your opinion the same prior to owning a caravan....BE HONEST

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ruth & PAul - the only driver I have no respect for is a taxi driver. I know they have a living to make but here in Bridgend they think they have priority at all times on the road over any other road user. Their attitude to others is down right appaling. I am sorry that, although I will give way to any road user whether they be HGV, busses, caravaners, etc., I will not give way in any shape or form to a local taxi driver. I hope I have not offended taxi drivers in general, I am of the opinion that this ignorance is only perculier to this area - unless you know different.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yes you have offended people Colin, you shouldnt tar all taxi drivers with the same brush,just as you shouldnt to any group be they motorcyclists,bus drivers or women drivers.There are good and bad in all so dont be so quick to condemn every one and before you ask yes i am married to a taxi driver and he always gives way to people and is courteous to other drivers!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Be nice to all road users they have as much right to be there as you ,when was the the last time any of us done something stupid only to have the driver behind shaking their head in disbelief at what you have just done ,i am in town centres every day with a h g v and boy do i see some mistakes being made ,who cares (unless its dangerous)lifes to short . Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yes you have offended people Colin, you shouldnt tar all taxi drivers with the same brush,just as you shouldnt to any group be they motorcyclists,bus drivers or women drivers.There are good and bad in all so dont be so quick to condemn every one and before you ask yes i am married to a taxi driver and he always gives way to people and is courteous to other drivers!
Hi Denise I am sorry if I have caused you offence. My criticism is made towards the taxi drivers of Bridgend area. I have had considerable altercations with them because of their manner. One drove into the back of me whilst i was stationary at a junction with the hand brake and foot brake on, he reckoned I rolled back into him. Another occassion one drove past a school crossing patrol almost hitting three junior school children, one being my grand daughter. His response was that he did not notice him in the middle of the road in full uniform and lollipop. There are good taxi drivers in this area but they are very few and far between. Once again as I said I apologise, your husband may be a very caring driver with great respect for his fellow road user. I only wish he was living in this area and then there might be a greater respect for these people.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Paul, Ruth

I will be honest I live on the main route into the New Forest and Bournmouth, and caravans drive me mad, but then so do slow drivers, day trippers and old drivers in Volvos wearing Hats!!!!

It is easy to generalise drivers into groups but during the summer months we get more than our fair share of bad drivers and dawdlers. so no I probably do not give way and will rush to be in front, bad I know but thats life, and I dont have to tow my van its on a seasonal pitch, a deliberate choice to keep it off the road!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Taxi drivers

I have to agree, the taxi drivers in our neck of the woods are dreadful, park anywhere, double yellows, bus laybyes.

U, turns in road, inconsiderate, most are part timers.

Mind you the little Hitlers of parking attendants employed by the council, turn a blind eye,

except for the private motorists.

The best are the HGV drivers.

roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul & Ruth - we started vanning 19 years ago and I used to hate vans even more than Jeremy Clarkson........until we saw inside a friend's & bought one! Such immature prejudice from me would have denied us and our 3 kids of 19 years of superb holidays all over the UK and Europe. With all the extra traffic on the roads these days, it's hard to average a higher speed solo anyway - the caravan clubs & mags should challenge JC and the like to a timed run in the peak season solo vs towing - (sticking rigidly to all speed limits of course) this would put an end to the myth of vans holdng everyone up. Yes I do lack respect still for poorly matched/badly maintained outfits - but you'll always have a minority of irresponsible owners spoiling it for the majority.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul and Ruth, Must admit didn't realise the restrictions on vans until we had one, but I do get annoyed even now when there is a bad driver on the road (towing or not) but it is worse if a van, only because you cannot see around it and don't know what the problem is, if any.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts