Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Has anyone fitted a SOG toilet kit and if so was it easy enough and any thoughts on it?
Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Has anyone fitted a SOG toilet kit and if so was it easy enough and any thoughts on it?
Thank you.

An interesting concept but I’m not sure that passing air ( oxygen) over the waste would really help it decompose. Sewage works mechanically agitate waste and expose it to air. Hardly the same in a motorhome on the move. Or a caravan on site. Even chemicals have a job breaking down waste so i am not convinced, and an expensive trial.

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
An interesting concept but I’m not sure that passing air ( oxygen) over the waste would really help it decompose. Sewage works mechanically agitate waste and expose it to air. Hardly the same in a motorhome on the move. Or a caravan on site. Even chemicals have a job breaking down waste so i am not convinced, and an expensive trial.
Thetford's own say it does decompose that is why there is no need for chemicals.
Thanks for your input.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thetford's own say it does decompose that is why there is no need for chemicals.
Thanks for your input.
Be good to get your feedback after some use.Agree about chemicals as quite a number don’t use anything but freshwater. But that doesn’t decompose it, just softens it for easier disposal.

Reactions: Dave1007
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
The benefit is not needing to use toilet chemicals - most of the benefit can be simply achieved by using bio washing liquid instead of toilet chemicals.
My reason for considering it is to remove smells from blowback in the bathroom, no use of chemicals is a bonus and less harm to the climate.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My reason for considering it is to remove smells from blowback in the bathroom, no use of chemicals is a bonus and less harm to the climate.
We seriously looked at the SOG system, but then came across the tablets which we now use. Easy and light to carry with no spillage and bonus no smells. :)

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
We seriously looked at the SOG system, but then came across the tablets which we now use. Easy and light to carry with no spillage and bonus no smells. :)
Are those tablets the bio degradable washing variety?
I'm still using the standard green stuff but would happily swap if there's a better alternative.
I've often read that the bio tablets do the job.
Which particular ones do you use please?

Reactions: Dave1007
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are those tablets the bio degradable washing variety?
I'm still using the standard green stuff but would happily swap if there's a better alternative.
I've often read that the bio tablets do the job.
Which particular ones do you use please?
We did try the bio degradable tablets, but the stench when emptying was very unpleasant so switched to use the proper tablets. At the moment we are using the Dometic tablets. They are not cheap if bought one at a time however we try and wait until they have a special and buy several tubs at a time to keep costs down. Savings can be quite significant when buying in bulk. :D

Reactions: Johnb

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I fitted a SOG to our last caravan and transferred it to the current caravan. The SOG did over 1000 nights including long winters in Spain in the last caravan and has done about 400 nights in the current caravan. It has worked faultlessly for the whole time (about 12 years). It's reasonably easy to instal, taking about an hour or so.
Its quite common on caravan forums for negative or silly comments to be made, but always by people who have not used one.
The reason we fitted one was because we both dislike the smell of toilet chemicals, and prefer to avoid using them. I can honestly say that we have never had any smell from our toilet compartment since fitting it. We use our toilet and shower on all sites, in preference to sharing facilities with others.
I also installed a Ceramic Thetford toilet in our the last caravan around 2014, and transferred that to the current caravan too. The bowl keeps itself cleaner than the plastic type, even without additives.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've wanted to fit one (as the toilet gets used a lot in ours), but didn't fancy having to remove the toilet to fit it.

That, and I've not found anyone selling the kit for £20 on Facebook or Ebay

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I fitted a SOG to our last caravan and transferred it to the current caravan. The SOG did over 1000 nights including long winters in Spain in the last caravan and has done about 400 nights in the current caravan. It has worked faultlessly for the whole time (about 12 years). It's reasonably easy to instal, taking about an hour or so.
Its quite common on caravan forums for negative or silly comments to be made, but always by people who have not used one.
The reason we fitted one was because we both dislike the smell of toilet chemicals, and prefer to avoid using them. I can honestly say that we have never had any smell from our toilet compartment since fitting it. We use our toilet and shower on all sites, in preference to sharing facilities with others.
I also installed a Ceramic Thetford toilet in our the last caravan around 2014, and transferred that to the current caravan too. The bowl keeps itself cleaner than the plastic type, even without additives.
Great info, thank you.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I think they are about £187, I'm looking at Thetfords own kit for about £122
I have no experience of the Thetford version but have been told that the fan runs on a time delay and runs on for quite a while which can be disturbing in the night. Also, the vacuum fan is not very strong. (May be just tinternet tittletattle). However, I think the current SOG direct price (I just checked it) at £174 for the Thetford C260, is a bit rich to be honest!

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have no experience of the Thetford version but have been told that the fan runs on a time delay and runs on for quite a while which can be disturbing in the night. Also, the vacuum fan is not very strong. (May be just tinternet tittletattle). However, I think the current SOG direct price (I just checked it) at £174 for the Thetford C260, is a bit rich to be honest!
SOG is that price but Thetford own is about £122. It runs on for 3 minutes after starting then automatically switches off but you can also press the fan button which stops it as well.

Reactions: Ern
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Elsan Double Blue and Pink has worked brilliantly for us for many years. I can say with absolute certainty toilet paper and solids just after an hour of use are nearly , almost fully dissolved. Never had bad smells. Being sceptical is another reinvention of the wheel?
I can’t from the info available see why SOG or Thetford is better. Must be missing something.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Elsan Double Blue and Pink has worked brilliantly for us for many years. I can say with absolute certainty toilet paper and solids just after an hour of use are nearly , almost fully dissolved. Never had bad smells. Being sceptical is another reinvention of the wheel?
I can’t from the info available see why SOG or Thetford is better. Must be missing something.
There are different approaches to chemical toilets - one is to use enough chemicals to suppress any odour but these stop septic tank sewage systems from working - a second is to use organic chemicals which allow septic tanks to operate normally but these aren't completely odour-free - the third is to allow the toilet contents to decompose naturally and use ventilation to get rid of the odours.

SOG is better in the sense it's more environmentally acceptable than blue chemicals.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There are different approaches to chemical toilets - one is to use enough chemicals to suppress any odour but these stop septic tank sewage systems from working - a second is to use organic chemicals which allow septic tanks to operate normally but these aren't completely odour-free - the third is to allow the toilet contents to decompose naturally and use ventilation to get rid of the odours.

SOG is better in the sense it's more environmentally acceptable than blue chemicals.
What is the time scale?

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Time scale: We empty our SOG daily. If we used chemicals, we would still empty it daily. In both cases, decomposition has not completed when the cassette is emptied.
Reinventiion of toilet: Using chemicals in a toilet is a reinvention of the toilet. Unnecessary use of chemicals. We don't use them at home, do we?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Time scale: We empty our SOG daily. If we used chemicals, we would still empty it daily. In both cases, decomposition has not completed when the cassette is emptied.
Reinventiion of toilet: Using chemicals in a toilet is a reinvention of the toilet. Unnecessary use of chemicals. We don't use them at home, do we?
We don't at home but the "Stuff" if flushed away, The only positive of the SOG is if you don't empty your cassete every day as far as I am concerned. No.2 only at night time emptied at about 10 am.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts