Solar and battery possible issue.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

Well moved my caravan Buccaneer Cruiser 2016 from a seasonal site to another seasonal site.

The old site when we left on a weekend all we did was turn off the power switch and unplug the 240v and for the last 12 months plus the panel kept the battery topped up with no issues what so ever.

We moved sites and carried out the very same way as the old site but now the battery has dropped to below 6v and not charging so we visited the van last weekend to check. We plugged in the electric as usual and over the next few hours the battery had some charge but we had to go back home So as above unplugged 240v and switched off the power switch.

Today it’s dropped again to 11.9v and when we was at the van the solar controller was showing solid Green not it’s usual flashing green light.

Im baffled what could have changed its not missed a beat in over 2 years.

if you look at the attached pic you will see the drop and rise where I plugged in the electric for a short time but it’s starting to drop again.

Im thinking it’s the controller but not tested the battery as yet but I can’t imagine its the battery it’s brand new.

IMG_0134.jpeg

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
How new is the battery? If its getting on a bit it could be that all of the movement it endured during the journey from one site to the other disturbed some sediment within the battery and that has shorted out some of the plates, thus causing the voltage drop.
That would perhaps explain why your battery isn't holding a charge Not that I am any expert you understand!,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like Mr plod, I'm inclined to suspect the battery may be failing. After all and assuming it's the original battery from 2016, that makes it 7 years old, and if its been held at at a continual 13.8V 9as it appears from your images) it may be just ageing.

But other things to consider:-
Are the battery terminals clean and making good contact?
Is the solar panel orientated to collect as much sun as previously?
Are there any items of equipment that you have left turned on since the move?
We have just gone through several weeks of much duller weather, that will affect the solar yield.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
As I said above it’s a new battery not when the van was made, it was replaced in 2021.

Will have a better look when down the van next.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
ooking at your chart the battery voltage from the 14th -21st seems to be way over 12.6 volts which is what a fully charged battery should show. Nearly 14v is what I would expect to see whilst it is actually charging (mains or solar) The huge and sudden drop on the 30th to me suggests that something was left switched on as its difficult to see what else couldd cause such a drop unless the battery is indeed on its last legs and that's the day you moved site so it didn't get any form of charge into it.
From the 5th the voltage is down below 12 which is classed as totally discharged.
Try fully charging the battery (24 hrs at least) disconnecting it and see what happens over a few days. If the voltage drops to aroundc12.3/2 or lower over a few days then that means the battery is finished. If the voltage stays up then there is clearly something draining it.
Is your solar panel now in shade rather than getting direct sunlight?
If its gone down to just 6v it has probably been permanently damaged and may well never recover. The instant drop to below 12v as soon as the charger was disconnected is pretty much proof that the battery is indeed knackered as it should stay at around 12.6 at least.
Under 12v is fully discharged. See below

1699344002012.png

Attachments

• 1699343936910.png
    1699343936910.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Buccaneer has an AGM battery and they recover quite well from been discharge below 6v as we proved on two different occasions. The biggest culprit in both cases was me not switching off the 12v by the door. The AGM batteries seem to be quite robust. I think they are a Yuasa Battery and need to be replaced with another AGM battery.

Our battery is now over 6 years old and is still functioning okay. I have only just checked ours at the dealer and battery reading is between 12.6 and 12.9v. Last week on 1st Nov it was 14.7v so not too concerned at present.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
But low voltage isn't good!
Chart for an AGM battery, under 12v is still 40% discharged and it shouldn't be that low immediately after coming off charge, and 6 volts is VERY discharged indeed.
14.7 v is what I woukd expect to see whilst the battery is on charge, not the voltage when the battery is off charge

1699345546303.png

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But low voltage isn't good!
Chart for an AGM battery, under 12v is still 40% discharged and it shouldn't be that low immediately after coming off charge, and 6 volts is VERY discharged indeed.
14.7 v is what I woukd expect to see whilst the battery is being charged, not the voltage when the battery is off charge

View attachment 5854

You are probably correct but I cannot explain how our battery recovered from going below 6v on two different occasions. On the Buccaneer the 100w solar panel constantly charges the battery.

The 2016 Buccaneer has the Phantom pro active tracker and alarm and these are constantly draining the battery even if 12v is switched off. There is a possibility that the Phantom tracker is dragging down the main 12v battery. I am not sure if the Phantom tracker has its own back up battery which could cause the issue?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts