Solar charger ????

May 1, 2010
Visit site
We have changed our van this year and new one has electric loo etc so I decided to try a solar charger. I bought a 13 watt suitcase charger from Maplin via internet (they are currently selling them for £49.99 instead of £79.99). It comes with a charging regulator and clips to attach to battery. After a week without hook up in Somerset recently my multimeter showed that my battery still had approximately 2/3rd power and I was able to use Powertouch to hook up van when we left. Overall very pleased. The only downside was length of cable which is 3 metres, I had to lengthen this as our battery box is on awning side and I needed solar panel on opposite side of van, so I added another 4 metres.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
You really need to be more specific, about how long you are planning to be away, what electrical items you want to use and how, and are you really only thinking of main season caravanning.
Anyway to try and help:
To be self sufficient through the main season, ie away as long as you like, and be a moderate user of TV excetra, I think the consesus of opinion is that in the UK you need at least a 50 Watt panel.
If it includes the shoulder seasons and is still long stay then it needs to be 85 Watts.
If its also winter then all I can add is my 85 Watt is not enough to be self sufficient, the evenings are so long requiring light and a bit of entertainment and the day time to charge is too short.

Still talking the main season. If its extending a week end by a few days then anything "helps", but clearly the more the better.
It also then depends on how big a battery you have and critically how much TV you need.
IMO its pretty pointless buying below 40 Watts; below that you have to be restricted in your power use, time away and be lucky all the time with the weather.
If its for servicing a battery in storage then these small 10-15 Watt units are ideal.
This is from years of experience first with a 13 Watt panel and three years now with an 85 Watt panel.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks HenryB, sounds like this may be the charger for me.
thanks JTQ, I would only be away without hook up for 3-4 days, my battery may last. Would like to use lighting and Tv & laptop although neither are essential. Have two toddlers so cant run risk of not having lights.

thanks
again
hollypop.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You can gat extention leads from www.sunshinesolar.co.uk they are the importers of the solar panels,they also have all sorts of spares

TRENDING THREADS