Solar Panel

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I am considering buying a solar panel to top up my battery when on rallies, or sites without hook up.

I have seen a panel at MAPLIN, their code no. N31CX (Can be viewed on website) 12V/12W.

Fully waterproof and guaranteed for 5 years at £49.99.

Will this be enough to top up usual lights, pumps, and 15" 12V TV usage?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Paul, in a word no!

In a few more its really not adequate even on a good day.

It will help but it will not replace what you use.

A very good 15" TV will be 25 Watts [ a naff one 50].

So if the suns blazing down you will get enough power in 2 hours to watch a good TV for one hour. If its overcast or simply a fly settles on it its output will drop a great deal, probably down to 25%.

You need something twice this size or larger for it to start being useful.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Paul, in a word no!

In a few more its really not adequate even on a good day.

It will help but it will not replace what you use.

A very good 15" TV will be 25 Watts [ a naff one 50].

So if the suns blazing down you will get enough power in 2 hours to watch a good TV for one hour. If its overcast or simply a fly settles on it its output will drop a great deal, probably down to 25%.

You need something twice this size or larger for it to start being useful.
By "good" in respect to the TV I am talking its power comsumption, not it's quality or picture performance.

Oct 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul

some years ago my husband talked me into rallying and the only condition i made was to buy some sort of equipment to provide extra power.

We went for a solar panel, its about 3' square and cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi I have been looking at this for a while and have concluded from what others on the rally field use that the one to go for is a 40watt panel

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Like Hazel we too go on a lot of rallys & have two small children so need to be able to use tv & lights etc.

We bought a 110 watt roof mounted solar panel which cost

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts