Solar Panel

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
Hello there,

I am thinking of getting a solar panel to help keep the battery topped up when we are vanning with no hook up, I have seen a few on a certain well known web market place, but how do they connect to the battery? Do I have to disconnect the battery to charge it then put it back in, or is there a way I can leave it connected to the van when we are camping and then disconnect it and pack it away for travel?

Sorry if this is a somewhat naive question, it took me an hour yesterday to get the gas taps in the right order in our new van to light the hob!!

Rob

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rob

In order to prevent the solar panel from 'cooking' the battery by you will need a voltage regulator, this is sometimes called a charge controller.

The leisure battery is connected to the marked terminals on the charge controller, it's important that you do this first before connecting the panel. The battery can remain connected to the caravans 12v system.

Then connect the solar panel to the marked terminals on the charge controller.

You can mount the charge controller under the seat storage area next to the battery with the battery permanently connected and with leads for the panel fitted with watertight connectors on the ends.

The solar panel can then be 'plugged in' or mounted permanently on the caravan roof if you prefer it so that it is permanently connected.

It is vital to make good connections with cable of sufficient size to prevent voltage drop using the appropriate connectors for the job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings Rob,

I've connected mine via a short length of twin core cable from the battery to an 'idiot proof' connector(a connector where you cannot connect the wires the 'wrong way'). That one is in the battery box.

I then have a length of twin cable with idiot proof connectors at either end and finally, another short length of cable connected to the charge controller mentioned by Parksy.

The system as I have it means that I can put the solar panel anywhere near the van where it gets the optimum amount of sunlight.

One final thing. I have put a piece of aluminium profile and rivetted it across one corner of the solar panel at the back. (The panel is framed by aluminium) This gives me the opportunity of tethering a length of plastic coated cable with a loop at either end from the solar panel to any nearby caravan leg. You don't want to spend hard earned money on a solar panel to have it available to every passing lowlife who would steal it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts