Solar Panel.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Techies Suffering after Lockdown can any body recommend a panel to keep my 110amp battery topped up.I have had the suggestion as Im not going off grid a 50Watt panel will suffice . Thoughts on this one please .
Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless the battery is in poor condition, or you have regular load (i.e. an alarm) that discharges the battery continually, AND you only want it to maintain the battery whilst in storage, then 50W panel should fit the bill.

Even though its only 50W, it would be sensible to fit a good charge controller to prevent over charging the battery in summer months.

Obviously parking under a tree or next to building, or even dead leaves and general dirt anything like that that might compromise the panel ability to collect the suns energy so position of both the panel and the caravan will be important.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I would expect 50w would be ample. Just before lockdown we visited our van to pick up a few essentials when the shops were empty and accidently left the master switch on. All we had to top up the battery was a little 10w panel inside the roof light.

When we got to the van again mid June the battery still had 11.5 volts, without the panel I am sure it would have been dead. In winter it struggles, but it was mounted inside a tinted roof light. Wanting to go off grid in future we've just had a 100w panel put on the roof so the 10w panel is in the garage.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We used a very small-10w or less i think cheapy off ebay-propped in the skylight-kept our battery topped up superbly all winter and with such low wattage no need for a charge controller. Not the ultimate in solutions I know but VERY cheap and very simple! Or you could buy an optimate solar charger-controller etc complete.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use a 20 watt charger with it in the front window and facing East to get the morning sun. That has proved enough to keep the battery charged. Possibly the direction it faces is important, as a North facing one might not get sufficient light.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts