Solar Panel

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
We have been campers for many years but have now invested in a caravan- Bailey Ranger 510/4 2004. We used to -in our folding camper- plug in the panel via a 2 pin plug and (don't know how) it put a trickle charge in the battery. Please could someone explain how does this proceedure work in a caravan? Do we connect the panel directly to the battery (if so how in that tiny space allotted for a battery) or do we still plug it in or what? Many thanks, Gary

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

We have a short lead connected straight onto the battery which has a socket on the end (we use a S type round caravan plug and socket which is well shielded, but I guess any 2 pin non reversable socket will do).

The lead stays coiled up in battery compartment until required, when we just plug the panel into it.

There is normaly room for the lead and socket in the space where the mains hookup goes in and the lead will go through the slot in the compartment door.

Have fun with your new van.

Clarky.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
According to the Caravan Club handbook (page 600), pin 2 on the 12S was used for charging the caravan battery from the car - BUT only on UK-built caravans prior to Sept 1998. Therefore AFAIK, connecting the caravan grey socket to a solar panel will not give you a connection to the battery. (If anyone knows different, I'd be glad to hear, as I am also considering a solar panel!).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter & keith

The panel that we have is fitted with the "grey" socket and can be plugged directly into the 12S lead on pre 98 vans.

For vans with the newer wiring a seperate lead is supplied to connect directly to the battery or any other dedicated connector. This lead also has a grey 12S plug to quickly link up to the panel. Therefore the panel can be used with any van.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Clarky.

Hi, Gary,

I have been using a solar panel for about 5 years. I simply made a Connecting lead from Twin Red and and Black Accesory type flex. I attatched a short length to the Live and Neutral of the Battery, to this I fixed the socket side of a connector type Plug and Socket. I used the 3 Pin type as the unused off set Centre Pin avoided the problem of reverse polarity. The other end of this ie. The Plug I attatched to quite a long length of identical Flex and then to the Solar Panel. Which in my case already had a plug and socket attatched. As said previously this allows the long Flex to be removed both from the Battery end and also from the Panel and coiled inside the Battery Box. In use the Flex passes through the cut out in the Battery Box Door normaly used by the Mains Lead. Allowing me to lock it. The Long flex allows me to position the Panel in the best position to catch the Sun even when the Awning or the 'Van would otherwise put it in the Shade. I did consider using the "s" Type plug and Socket but it took up too much space inside the Battery Box. Obviously if you go down this route you can wire it how you wish so long as you use the same Pins on either end and only use it for this purpose. I bought the Flex and plug from Road pro. See On line Shop.

Regards Eddie from Nottingham.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi, Gary,

I have been using a solar panel for about 5 years. I simply made a Connecting lead from Twin Red and and Black Accesory type flex. I attatched a short length to the Live and Neutral of the Battery, to this I fixed the socket side of a connector type Plug and Socket. I used the 3 Pin type as the unused off set Centre Pin avoided the problem of reverse polarity. The other end of this ie. The Plug I attatched to quite a long length of identical Flex and then to the Solar Panel. Which in my case already had a plug and socket attatched. As said previously this allows the long Flex to be removed both from the Battery end and also from the Panel and coiled inside the Battery Box. In use the Flex passes through the cut out in the Battery Box Door normaly used by the Mains Lead. Allowing me to lock it. The Long flex allows me to position the Panel in the best position to catch the Sun even when the Awning or the 'Van would otherwise put it in the Shade. I did consider using the "s" Type plug and Socket but it took up too much space inside the Battery Box. Obviously if you go down this route you can wire it how you wish so long as you use the same Pins on either end and only use it for this purpose. I bought the Flex and plug from Road pro. See On line Shop.

Regards Eddie from Nottingham.
Hi Eddie and all- thanks for all the advice given to us. We took the panel away with us at Easter and a good camping friend connected everything up for us and after 8 days camping the battery was still showing a reading of 12.5, it had had plenty of use but we are really pleased with the solar panel. We are also very overjoyed with our carvan- this being our first one. Many thanks all. Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts