Something to cheer us up!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The start of daylight hours increasing is nearly here and something to look forwards to and plan for 2024's trips away. But I doubt many will relish the trip that one Scottish couple did in their Nissan EV, by going Pole to Pole, and where there were no charging stations they used wind or solar to recharge the batteries. Mind you they have prior experience of long haul EV travel by being the first to have completed the Mongol Rally in an electric car in 2017. I note that local Aberdeen delicacies were taken, and a celebration drink at the end was IrnBru.

Takes all sorts.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A fantastic achievement. And a great looking off-road car.
My favourite Rowies were from a bakers in Auchmill road in Bucksburn, sadly no longer there. An Aberdeen staple food essential, for High Cholesterol and Heart attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My favourite Rowies were from a bakers in Auchmill road in Bucksburn, sadly no longer there. An Aberdeen staple food essential, for High Cholesterol and Heart attacks.
The 2017 Mongol Rally trip was in their own Nissan Leaf with minimal modifications. They couldn’t have picked an EV with much lower range.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just found this site for any Aberdonians, that crave Rowies from home.
Rowies.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I never came across Rowies when I worked in Peterhead in the '70s - maybe they're very local to Aberdeen itself.
Yes they are, Ellon and Inverurre, maybe. Not much further out, same as the Haggis from Tobermory, , you can get an export licence from the Caravan site at Bunree.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are only really available in Aberdeen, but you might get them in supermarkets.
Gosh when I was an apprentice in Buckie I missed out on what could have been one of (few) highlights of the placement. But the pubs were a good compensation 😂

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you think if i order these Rowies online they would shipped them to me would love to try (y)
What makes you think they may not ship to you? They are an online food merchant based in UK selling domestically and internationally. There’s a link on their website for Stornaway black pudding……..treat yourselves to a Scottish feast.

Reactions: Hutch and Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think they may not ship to you? They are an online food merchant based in UK selling domestically and internationally. There’s a link on their website for Stornaway black pudding……..treat yourselves to a Scottish feast.
Hi clive i like black pudding so thanks for your help in this matter

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have never understood the fascination for this black pudding stuff as it does not even sound appetizing? Tried it once and that was once too often.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have never understood the fascination for this black pudding stuff as it does not even sound appetizing? Tried it once and that was once too often.
That’s pretty ripe coming from a Bok who was probably weaned on Biltong🤣🤣🤣

Ever tried that French delicacy andouillette sausage. Ugh

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s pretty ripe coming from a Bok who was probably weaned on Biltong🤣🤣🤣

Ever tried that French delicacy andouillette sausage. Ugh
Never heard of it on all our travels to France.

You should try Scallops on Black pudding and Bacon.
I am very partial to scallops and having them with bacon does sound appetizing if you leave out the black pudding. I don't eat any form of offal like heart, live, kidneys etc and I guess black pudding is offal?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Never heard of it on all our travels to France.

I am very partial to scallops and having them with bacon does sound appetizing if you leave out the black pudding. I don't eat any form of offal like heart, live, kidneys etc and I guess black pudding is offal?
Heart is just a muscle like fillet steak - strange how people view things.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Heart is just a muscle like fillet steak - strange how people view things.
Guess it was the way we were brought up as fillet steak was cheap in those days. The last time I bought good quality fillet steak was in 2018 and it was under £10 a kg, then we returned to the the UK.

Love ox heart cooked in the pressure cooker.
When we were young our Nan used to do oxtail stew and it was quite tasty. When I got married in early eighties instead of oxtail we used ostrich neck as very little fat. Very tasty!

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts