Sometimes I wonder why?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t believe that either are clubs in, at least what I consider, being the true sense of the word. I accept they have to survive in a commercial world so probably feel they have no choice to operate in their respective formats.

We are members of both because it suits us for various reasons. But recognise that they walk a mediocre line and do not side with members who have issues. Nor do they do truly have critical reviews and hold manufacturers to task. Perhaps they are scared that they may not survive if they do. But it’s a great pity as they have the opportunity to force improvement.

In contrast some IT mags do give proper reviews, and seem to get respect for that.

Just my opinion.

John
I think the difference in reviews could largely be due to the fact that the IT magazine’s can afford to buy products for tests which compared to caravans or motorhome are relatively low cost. Also IT mags have a far larger spectrum of advertisers too The club mags as well as Practical Caravan are relatively gentle on reviews as their circulation is probably small compared to IT magazines and their main product review source and advertisers are very limited.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The club mags as well as Practical Caravan are relatively gentle on reviews as their circulation is probably small compared to IT magazines and their main product review source and advertisers are very limited.

That really isn't any justification or value for "gentle" reviews - if magazines can't afford to publish reviews critical of their advertisers then the reviews they do publish are worthless.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That really isn't any justification or value for "gentle" reviews - if magazines can't afford to publish reviews critical of their advertisers then the reviews they do publish are worthless.
Then why are the caravan and motorhome reviews so gentle ? Do you have a reason?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think the difference in reviews could largely be due to the fact that the IT magazine’s can afford to buy products for tests which compared to caravans or motorhome are relatively low cost. Also IT mags have a far larger spectrum of advertisers too The club mags as well as Practical Caravan are relatively gentle on reviews as their circulation is probably small compared to IT magazines and their main product review source and advertisers are very limited.

Could be true, but nevertheles, it detracts from them being clubs in the fullest sense of the word. I think that that is a pity, as they could play a big part in improving the quality and image of the industry.

John

Reactions: RogerL
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have become a member of the CAMHC for one reason only and that’s so I could get my insurance from them and I bought an Alko secure wheel lock and a milenco nose weight gauge both with a discount buying through the CAMHC and the purchase of those meant that the caravan insurance received a discount and the purchase of the milenco means for the first time ever I might get round to checking the nose load, I’ve managed for the last 10 years having never bothered but I read a post I think by OtherClive that prompted me to buy the milenco, if I don’t get round to using it I’ll soon sell it as an unused item on flea bay.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Could be true, but nevertheles, it detracts from them being clubs in the fullest sense of the word. I think that that is a pity, as they could play a big part in improving the quality and image of the industry.

John
Firstly I took Roger L’ s “That” as referring to my posts explanation, it wasn’t a justification. But I do recognise the realities of navigating a course when in business.

Also I specifically extended my comments beyond just the clubs to include PC, and whilst I didn’t specifically include other publications that deal with caravans, campers or motorhomes the inference is there. All of these publications have to operate in a different environment compared to mass readership publications dealing with either lower cost items, or items that the publications can obtain commercially. Viz Autoexpress, Whatcar etc.
The “gentle” reviews really do not bother me as I still enjoy reading someone’s views of the product.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

John
Surely the industry swim in the same sea as the clubs and the users. So if the industry cannot recognise the concerns voiced re quality and image is it really practical to expect the clubs to exert influence. After all an industry able to sell increasing number of products isn’t going to be swayed by mere words. It’s the buying public that exerts pressure. But what evidence is there of such pressures at a level that will effect the changes desired?

Reactions: JTQ
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frankly the way the "clubs " have to operate for legal, tax and practical purposes they are commercial organisations. They have a board of directors who take most day to day decisions on behalf of the club members. That is fundamentally no different to a board of directors elected by shareholders.

They have become so big that individual members have little sway in the way the organisation moves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Frankly the way the "clubs " have to operate for legal, tax and practical purposes they are commercial organisations. They have a board of directors who take most day to day decisions on behalf of the club members. That is fundamentally no different to a board of directors elected by shareholders.

They have become so big that individual members have little sway in the way the organisation moves.
Agreed but let’s not lose sight of other aspects of their activities that differentiate them from a business. They organise rallies, temporary holiday sites, district association meetings, volunteers run some sites, overseas rallies, national rallies, maintain a library of technical help bulletins, magazines, Club sites, five van sites, focused insurance and recovery services etc. Local Annual General Meetings are held which can give voice to members interests and concerns right through to the main AGM. But like attending the annual shareholders meeting for a company not all views can, or should be accommodated by those who are responsible for the performance of the whole enterprise.

Clearly there are many who just see them as just purveyors of pitches but they are clubs in meaning of the term, and it is up to each individual to decide how best to use their membership opportunities.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The answer lies elsewhere.
CAMC has a magazine circulation of approx 350000. CCC 250 000, PCV 25000.
So who can afford to upset their advertisers? Or speak as they find rather than what they want us to hear?
According to an article in yesterday’s DT , David Motton was involved, 34% of current caravanners are new entrants in the last 12 months . They may well be the people who used airlines for holidays. Noŵ with their new found leisure time toy they may have deeper pockets than your average old lag caravanner. I suggest opportunity knocks and the Clubs may have taken advantage. Other than CLs we haven’t been on a CAMC site for four years. Mainly because the private sites do offer more and invariably have Fully serviced pitches. TV links and WiFi tend to be easily available too. Price per pitch is often cheaper than the Clubs. Maybe when the Covid issues are resolved and overseas holidays the norm we will see a return to caravanning pitch sensibility??

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
30 years ago, but I have no reason to believe things have changed. I bought a brand new van which was a complete lemon. long story. I had it examined by the ministry of transport who provided a statement which said it should not be on the road. (But, strangely they could not enforce that). I hoped that the CC would assist me as a member to fight my case. And/or to inform others of the issues. That was a vain hope.

This is why I believe that they are not clubs in what I consider to be the full and true sense of the word.

Members should come before advertisers.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
30 years ago, but I have no reason to believe things have changed. I bought a brand new van which was a complete lemon. long story. I had it examined by the ministry of transport who provided a statement which said it should not be on the road. (But, strangely they could not enforce that). I hoped that the CC would assist me as a member to fight my case. And/or to inform others of the issues. That was a vain hope.

This is why I believe that they are not clubs in what I consider to be the full and true sense of the word.

John
30 years is a long time. But why not cast your net at DVSA too and their reluctance/ refusal to do anything when more recently alloy wheels were coming off, or axles failing, or mandate a recall system. Who was you case against, the dealer or manufacture. But irrespective I would not expect either of the clubs to help me take up a case. You clearly had a unsafe caravan as inspected by DOT. Why didn’t you sue whoever was deemed responsible. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 was extant as was the Small Claims Court if the value being disputed fell within its jurisdiction at that time. If not the normal civil process would be available. I’ve successfully used both. Civil court in 1971 against GKN, and small claims court against a private individual who sold me a duff motor circa 1977

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
30 years is a long time. But why not cast your net at DVSA too and their reluctance/ refusal to do anything when more recently alloy wheels were coming off, or axles failing, or mandate a recall system. Who was you case against, the dealer or manufacture. But irrespective I would not expect either of the clubs to help me take up a case. You clearly had a unsafe caravan as inspected by DOT. Why didn’t you sue whoever was deemed responsible. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 was extant as was the Small Claims Court if the value being disputed fell within its jurisdiction at that time. If not the normal civil process would be available. I’ve successfully used both. Civil court in 1971 against GKN, and small claims court against a private individual who sold me a duff motor circa 1977

I could have done many of those things, I would not sell it privately, my conscience would not allow that, so I PX‘d reasonably well.

Personally I would have enjoyed taking them on, dealer and or manufacturer, but I can’t explain the extent to which such matters upset my wife.

Bit were we differ, is in expectations of a club. And, in the interest of its members and of safety, I would have expected the club to have championed my case, not just for me, but for other buyers. We will have to remain in disagreement on that I guess. ☹️

The well known manufacturer dropped that line of van very soon after. A friend had the larger version and that did not suffer the same problems. They still exist but have since been taken over by a larger company.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

A members club would act in it's members' interests by taking up member's complaints against errant suppliers - a commercial organisation wouldn't.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in 1978 The Club’s En Route magazine was a guiding light, of sort. I don’t recollect any open help with legal issues. Post all the litigious movements over the
last two decades we have all been offered various levels of “ Legal Expenses” cover within our caravan insurance. I suggest that is where John’s like problems, today , should be addressed. The Clubs as far as I know , do not get involved!!

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Back in 1978 The Club’s En Route magazine was a guiding light, of sort. I don’t recollect any open help with legal issues. Post all the litigious movements over the
last two decades we have all been offered various levels of “ Legal Expenses” cover within our caravan insurance. I suggest that is where John’s like problems, today , should be addressed. The Clubs as far as I know , do not get involved!!

I agree, that makes sense with regards to cases involving individuals, but, with regards to championing quality issues on behalf of all members, big or small, should be in their scope. (Just my opinion).

I do understand my expectations will not be fulfilled anytime soon.

I also am a member of boundless, I can remember when they took up all sorts of motoring. issues. But for many years now they also do ’gentle’ reports.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am afraid John they all have Lords and Masters, even on here. Thus we are not allowed to make any comment about anything that may be connected to whoever owns who. Power of the pen and all that!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A members club would act in it's members' interests by taking up member's complaints against errant suppliers - a commercial organisation wouldn't.

All I can say is that nowhere in the Articles of Association or Bye Laws or Objectives does it cover the actions above. Whilst it is disappointing to buy a “ lemon” I really cannot see how a member can reasonably expect the Club to assist in what is a consumer issue where there are rights of redress enacted in law. Other than perhaps any Legal Expenses Insurance that may have come with membership or insurance cover. But even these don’t give carte blanche cover.

The CMHC objectives are:

The objects are to: (1) maintain and conduct a club for the benefit of the persons, including mobile caravanners and those connected with mobile caravanning, who are admitted to Club Membership in accordance with these Articles; (2) encourage social interaction between such persons; (3) promote caravanning generally; and (4) carry out or promote leisure and travel related services and products, including but not limited to caravanning and related pursuits.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree, that makes sense with regards to cases involving individuals, but, with regards to championing quality issues on behalf of all members, big or small, should be in their scope. (Just my opinion).

I do understand my expectations will not be fulfilled anytime soon.

I also am a member of boundless, I can remember when they took up all sorts of motoring. issues. But for many years now they also do ’gentle’ reports.

John
These days Boundless is little more than a lifestyle magazine pushing sales of products and services. Although it’s membership fee is compensated fir by savings on specific items. Britannia Rescue was always a good service at a very reasonable price. But for caravanners Green Flag is probably a better option.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed but let’s not lose sight of other aspects of their activities that differentiate them from a business. They organise rallies, temporary holiday sites, district association meetings, volunteers run some sites, overseas rallies, national rallies, maintain a library of technical help bulletins, magazines, Club sites, five van sites, focused insurance and recovery services etc. Local Annual General Meetings are held which can give voice to members interests and concerns right through to the main AGM. But like attending the annual shareholders meeting for a company not all views can, or should be accommodated by those who are responsible for the performance of the whole enterprise.

Clearly there are many who just see them as just purveyors of pitches but they are clubs in meaning of the term, and it is up to each individual to decide how best to use their membership opportunities.
I do not disagree with that list of activities, but that does not make them uniquely a club. There are many commercial organisations whose job is to do or organise very similar things, so the difference is very blurred.

What the clubs do that is different is to focus on caravanning (motorhomming) and camping more so than other organisations. To that extent they do have a USP, but it is increasing questionable if the exclusivity they try to provide is actually worth it as far as camp sites are concerned.

And when it comes to sound fiscal practices, accepting bookings that can be no shows without covering their costs just seems plain daft. It frustrates other members, and it pushes up prices on the pitches that are used to help cover the costs of no shows.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I agree with OC that the club does not have to represent their members interests within the industry, they have no legal obligation. I am simply saying, that in my opinion, that is a sad state of affairs.

I made the Boundless example as an comparison. When it did truly represent its members it was a far more useful formidable and respected organisation. It seems to me that all came to an end when one member of staff sadly died quite young.

I don’t ever remember the CC making any representation. In my case with the lemon. They sent two people round to my house to investigate. I thought great. But all they did was make weak attempts at explaining why they should not get involved. Sadly, they never even bothered to ask me about the issues. And I gave them a cup of tea.

I sometimes purchase an IT mag, each month there are a couple of pages of the magazine handling readers complaints practical and legal with various manufacturers and suppliers. I have great respect for that. And it’s informative.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
These days Boundless is little more than a lifestyle magazine pushing sales of products and services. Although it’s membership fee is compensated fir by savings on specific items. Britannia Rescue was always a good service at a very reasonable price. But for caravanners Green Flag is probably a better option.

‘ Lifestyle‘ is a good description, and matches the clubs. Apart from BR and the discounts, the other benefits are legal assistance, holiday homes, hotels, and European breakdown cover. Also, cheaper admission to motoring and other events usually with private facilities and free soft drinks. For me that’s about £100 for the top cover. Seems fine to me.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
At the turn of the century the then CC did get involved in a detailed User Satisfaction Census of caravan brands which yielded damning evidence of the UK industry as a whole and very much so of at least one brand, it suffered 25% damp issues!

One does though observe, nothing like that very informative, in depth and specific data base has ever been repeated, we draw our own conclusions where it retrospectively felt its loyalty lay.

On individual cases, I can see it can't report publicly on these as it risks only getting one side of the story, with that's attendant risks.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
In 2016 we bought a brand new caravan which turned out to be a load of poo. Initially I consulted CAB, but quickly realised that they never really had a good understanding of CRA 2015.
I then approached the CC and their advcie was even worse. Had I taken their advice we would have been several thousand pounds out of pocket. I approached Which Legal Service consumer help line and was given the correct legal advice. Using this advice I took on the dealer and the finance company and was successful.
This was the second time we had had poor advice from the CC who are supposed to be acting in your best interest! :mad:

Just to add that we pay the membership for use of CLs, Mayday and insurance. The CL network is worth the fee!

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts