Sorento 4 x 4 Question

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
We have a new Sorento XE with the manual 4x4 selection system.

Obviously the 4Low option is for those 'sticky' situations. However, I tried the 4hi option this evening only to find the car almost seized when turning. Having surfed the net for a few hours I am coming to the conclusion that both the low and high options are for those sticky situations.

To be honest, I always thought you could run in 4hi mode for added stability on the road (full time 4 x 4 like a Range Rover or Disco) but from what I have read this is not the case. XS and XT are different of course with their automatic TOD(?) system.

Is this correct?

Many thanks

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Basically, yes. Despite what the dealer may say, it would be unwise to run an XE in high 4x4 on dry tarmac. Ok, to use it in wintry conditions or when wheel spin might occur (rally field) while low 4x4 should only be used when the Disco in front get's stuck. The XS and XT run in 4x4 all the time, but you can't switch them to the more economical 2x4, can you.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Basically, yes. Despite what the dealer may say, it would be unwise to run an XE in high 4x4 on dry tarmac. Ok, to use it in wintry conditions or when wheel spin might occur (rally field) while low 4x4 should only be used when the Disco in front get's stuck. The XS and XT run in 4x4 all the time, but you can't switch them to the more economical 2x4, can you.
Is that a gaultlet I hear being thrown to the ground!

Cheeky monkey! ;-)

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have an XS and it spends most of its time when on the tarmac in rear wheel 2 drive. Going arounda local hill-bend it will sometimes cut into 4 wheel drive if the surface is wet. Even when I took it ona 4*4 day I left it in normal driving mode and it sorted out for itself when to engage 4 wheel drive. The low drive is for really sticky stuff or rocky surfaces.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wondered how long I'd get away with that one.

Not long, uh!

LMAO.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have an XS and it spends most of its time when on the tarmac in rear wheel 2 drive. Going arounda local hill-bend it will sometimes cut into 4 wheel drive if the surface is wet. Even when I took it ona 4*4 day I left it in normal driving mode and it sorted out for itself when to engage 4 wheel drive. The low drive is for really sticky stuff or rocky surfaces.
Thanks very much for the replies, that is a 'load off' as they say.

I also rang the dealer today and they said it was because the XE is not fitte with a limited slip diferential at the rear, yet the brouchure and KIA UK web-site says it should have one as standard.

Have I been sold an old model or non-UK car??? It was only registered a few weeks back (06 plate) and from the largest KIA dealer in the UK......or so they claim.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we have an xe as well and when we first took delivery it was in 4Hi and when i had full lock on it it felt like it was going to stall as well so i put it into 2x4 and havent really used 4x4 apart from when we had snow a couple of months ago but in the manuel it says you can travel upto 50mph in 4HI and you can flick between 2 and 4Hi whilst going along at these speeds.

I love our sorento we basically bought it to tug our caravan along and it does this with no problems what so ever it brill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts