South Brittany - Weather in August

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

We are looking at going to France in August and are looking at the South Brittany/Vendee regions. I have worked out that the Vendee region is where the nice weather is, but for all you experienced caravanners what is the weather like in August in South Brittany. We have found a lovely little campsite in Benodet, the main town is Quimper.

Thank you

Sam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sam

We stayed at a site in Benodet August last year, the weather can be a bit hit and miss. The first week we were there the weather was lovely, but the second week was very overcast and we did have some rain.

The nice thing with Benodet it didn't matter about the weather because we found lots of different things to do.

What site are you staying at?

Gill

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gill

Port de Plaissance, it is part of the Yelloh Village group.

It looks lovely, and it has a fab indoor pool if the weather is raining one day.

It is also our first time towing the caravan in France, so we are thinking should we sensible and go somewhere closer to St Malo for our first trip.

Is Benodet nice?

I have done some research on the internet and it does look lovely. Thank you for all your help.

Sam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sam

We also stayed at Port de Plaissance, lovely site. The indoor swimming pool is brill, you can sit in the sun just outside the indoor pool. The outdoor pool was a cold.

There is plenty to do, we played boules, did archery, played tennis.

There is a supermarket within walking distance, you can also walk into benodet itself.

Our pitch was just behind the reception, plenty big enough. If you can request a pitch i would ask for pitch 3 it is huge.

Activities are arranged for children throughout the day, even though we had teenagers they still joined in the football and poker.

G

The weather in Brittany is similar to the south of England, so that may tell you everything. Remember last summer was supposed to be a 'BBQ Summer' and turned out to be a washout. Unfortunately that part of France also had a wet summer but we all live in hope that this year will be a scorcher.

However, don't be too 'shy' about travelling a little further. You will also find some very attractive parts of France and the roads are mcuh better than here, so no excuse really. It depends if you wish a hot vacation. If so, then you really need to go south. If a UK type summer appeals then Brittany has the scenery.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sam,

We have been to Southern Brittany for the last few years. We stayed about an hour further south at La Trinite Sur Mer. I have to disagree with Sotch Lad as the weather was loads better than home.We live in Cornwall and was fed up of three rainy Aug hols in St Ives. We were there in Aug and had friends staying at the Isle of Wight having bad weather and we had hot glorious sunshine. I must add that we also had friends staying at Benodet and the weather was different there even only an hour away. They had cloudy days when we had sun. Last Aug we were there for 21 days and had 1/2 a days rain - honestly. We have been to the Vendee, but I actually prefer Brittany as its more scenic. Hope this helps. Denise.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Sam,

I've worked and holidayed in North Brittany plus holidayed in South Brittany before I had a caravan. I found North Brittany more to our liking than the South - nicer beaches, towns and restaurants. The South is far more agricultural. As Scotch Lad said the weather, in Brittany, can be very similar to Cornwall.

However, we travelled further south last year to the Vendee and stayed at La Garangoire. The Vendee definitely has a micro climate. You could see the difference in the landscape - dry scorched grass etc. We stayed in the last two weeks in August and it averaged at 23C! It actually got to 33C on our 3rd day there. The area has Mediterranean feel to it - lots of bleach white villas with terracotta roof tiles!

As for the journey it was our first time with the van abroad and although I was apprehensive it was a really easy drive.

Cheers,

Mathew

TRENDING THREADS