South Devon water issue

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This was on another forum; https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/16/scho...-diarrhoea-20848939/?ico=top-stories_home_top

We are due down there in a month's time, but are unsure whether the issue will be resolved by then as sometimes it can take weeks or months for this sort of issue to be eradicated altogether. We will less than 10 miles away from the major outbreak area which seems to be spreading. We have already paid the site in full.

The big concern here is that both of us are regarded as extremely vulnerable and having diarrhoea, stomach pains, vomiting, and fever would probably put us in hospital.

We are unsure whether to cancel, but then we may not be able to get a refund. If we do still go and end up ill and even bigger concern. The thing is that neither the park or ourselves are at fault!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Would not bottled water, plus boiled water be an option, but if there are still official health concerns then the park may have to refund. Not an easy decision for the other forum members, or the park. Hopefully it gets cleared up quickly and hasn't spread to the area where the park is located.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Would not bottled water, plus boiled water be an option, but if there are still official health concerns then the park may have to refund. Not an easy decision for the other forum members, or the park. Hopefully it gets cleared up quickly and hasn't spread to the area where the park is located.
We did think of bottled water, but carting it around as one uses about 10 litres a day i.e. drinks like tea, brushing teeth, washing face and even showering. You may recall that OH nearly died about 2 years ago due to severe dehydration and I certainly do not want a repeat of it.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Bottled water for drinking, brushing teeth, etc. Site shower for bathing (surely you can keep your mouth closed long enough to take a shower ;);)).

Sorry, shouldn't jest. Asda do 10 litre water bags. Park up, fill trolly, push to car then hopefully you can park right next to your caravan and transfer as required. At 10 litres each per day (how do you manage with so little????) it will add £9 per day to your holiday, but better that than getting ill. Personally I'd risk the site showers but your situation is different to mine.

Might be worth contacting the site now, expressing your concerns and asking their advice.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
We never drink from the aquaroll and use less than one 5L container a day for drinking and cleaning teeth. Hand wash and showering should be ok but as a last resort use antibac gel after you have washed your hands.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Soap is still one of the best things to use for cleansing hands and killing bugs. As a result of covid we have now stopped using hand dispensers and now use bar soap. More eco friendly too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We never drink from the aquaroll and use less than one 5L container a day for drinking and cleaning teeth. Hand wash and showering should be ok but as a last resort use antibac gel after you have washed your hands.
I think we use about 45 litres a day, I take the dog out for a walk in the morning, but say to Mrs H, " Be carefully the Barrel is not full" so she has a spray , rub with gell and a rinse, shower. Plenty of water for me left.
Until she, " The Boss" reads this. .
We now use two aqua rolls a day.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It now seems that it is the only the Brixham area that is affected and the campsite where we are staying is just outside he perimeter of the affect area. It seems that we should be okay. According to the news the infection was due to a faulty valve.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
It now seems that it is the only the Brixham area that is affected and the campsite where we are staying is just outside he perimeter of the affect area. It seems that we should be okay. According to the news the infection was due to a faulty valve.
Good news. If they've identified the source they should be able to work out the affected area fairly reliably.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thing is, regardless of the precautions you take, if the outbreak is still live, you are going to spend all your holiday feeling anxious about it; hence ruining your holiday.
If cancelling now will get you your money back; then cancel and go somewhere else. If you have lost the money already, if you cancel; make a decision based on the state of the outbreak at the last minute.
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Cancel! Your health must come first.
You will see from the link South West Water have identified the entry point for the parasite into the water system. There efforts continue until further notice to eradicate the parasite. I understand it will be a while before they can categorically state the parasite has been totally eradicated.

It would be a very foolish site owner who “guaranteed “ the purity of their water in these circumstances especially to health vulnerable people. They may well have already put SW Water on notice for lost business?

At the very worst save your health and forget the money.
But possibly if not a full refund the site may offer you a transfer to another date?
Did you pay on your credit card? You know the ropes😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We will be at Ross Park in Ipplepen in south Devon so not too far away from Brixham, but apparently outside the infected water area if one looks at the map of the area infected. Isn't there a CC site at Brixham?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts