South East London To Chester - Which Way?

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

The plan for later this month, is to start at 4am using M25 clockwise to M40 then M42, M5-North, M6 to Jct.16 then West on A500 towards Nantwich and A51 to Chester. This will give us 8 hours to complete the journey as we would like to arrive about noon.

Does anyone know of any areas along the A51 to avoid i.e. "not suitable for towing caravans?"

Thanks for any help.

Colin. "Orpington" - I know there are a few of us.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hello Colin

we live near Chester; A500/A51 is OK for caravans - it is used by trucks as route to/from M6 avoiding busier sections north of J16. An alternative route we have used/suggest is up to M4, then West to J15, take A417 to J11a on M5 (access OK either N or S bound), then M6, and so on.

Regards : Ann & John

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Colin....Because you live in North Kent I agree with the route Stuart provided with slight variations:

M25 anti clock, through tunnel then M11, A14, M6, M56 to Chester.

Travel time is about the same but you will miss the busy M25 section between the M11 and M1 by going up the M11 and onto the A14 that links to the M6/M1 junctions north of Northampton. Once on the M11 you are running against the traffic flow into London so it should be light. Also, depending on what time you get to around Birmingham, I would only use the M6 toll if it is rush hour.

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi and many thanks to all for the advice,

I'm somewhat wary of the M11 lately, as the last time we used it to travel to Hunstanton in July we got snarled up in the Friday afternoon closure between Jct. 8 & 10. It took us 7 hours to cover 130 miles, not a good journey. The M25 can be a nightmare - hence the 4am start, we'll go for an extended stop near our destination if all goes well.

Best regards Colin & Christine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts