South Wales to North Wales - best route?

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

We are towing our van from Pembrey (Carmarthen-ish) up to Betws y Coed next week and wondered on the best route to take.

I was planning to take the A487 to Dolgellau and then the A470 up to Betws. Is that the best way to go with a caravan? Or would it be better to go via Newtown?

Any advice from North/South Wales veterans appreciated as it's a bit of journey even when not towing!

Thanks very much

Chris

PS. Apologies if this is in the wrong section - seemed the best fit.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Towing a caravan should be no real problem. Its the row of cars behind , with nowhere to pass, who have the problem.

But in answer to your question, any route that takes you via Ipswich ......

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I have used the coast road when driving up without the caravan, but wondered if going 'up through the middle' via Newtown may be a better option?

Even if I have a line of traffic behind me, you can bet your boots I'll be behind a tractor!

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I know both routes well. My worry on the coast road is the bit between near Borth and Machynlleth - it is narrow and twisty in places. The route through Newtown is OK but you my get held up in Newtown and Llangollen. If you go that way Oswestry services, where the Welshpool road meets the A5 has dedicated caravan slots.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts