Space saver for full size spare

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Steve,
That's why the testing was done in the right environment. If there was to be a problem, no harm would be done to anyone else.
As I understand it, the recommendations are that the space saver is not to be fitted to the driven wheels (i.e. rears on a rear wheel drive, and front on a front wheel drive). That's certainly the case with the cars handbooks that I've just checked.
I agree with you, that, especially when towing I would much prefer to have a full sized spare, but as Lutz has pointed out, providing the rear axle is not overloaded when towing (and it shouldn't be), it need not be any heavier than a fully laden car, and therefore a space saver would do it's job. They are after all described as being "temporary", and should be used, as far as I'm concerned, in an emergency to get you out of a difficulty and to be replaced as soon as possible.
To conclude, I'd much rather have a space saver than a tin of gunge which many manufacturers seem to supply these days. Ford S-Max for instance doesn't have a wheel well for a spare!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree Nigel.
A space saver is better than the spare in a can.
The limitations of a space saver especially the 100 mile one is a factor that needs to be better controlled. how often do people note how many miles the spare has done? How often does one purchase a second hand car only to find the space saver has been used. At least with a full size wheel you can see how much use it has left in it and can easily get a replacement tyre on the spot at a tyre depot.

I tend to agree with Lutz that if there is no other option, a space saver could be used and that it is unlikely that the car's rear axle load would be exceeded. But i would have to say, I would be very cautious using one while towing and would only want to get to the next layby or service area to unhook the van and then go solo to get a repair carried out.

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
About 3 years ago we had half a pair of scissors go through the bottom of a rear tyre and out though the side wall. I was in the south of France with the caravan. Even if I had deemed it safe to tow any distance with a space saver (which I personally did not), it was going to be a longer tow home at 50. My car a BMW had different width wheels at the back to the front so the space saver really had to go on the back. The idea of these space saver tyres is to get you to a local garage and fix or replace the main tyre. We searched high and low for a replacement tyre for my car. No tyres were available in that size. Delivery time was being quoted as two weeks. Red Pennant were finding the same thing. It looked as if we would have to leave the car and caravan in France and fly back to get back to work. Luckliy after going to umpteen different tyre places, we found a chineese tyre that was the right size and that got us home only a couple of days late. Needless to say I will never take a tow car with a space saver abroad again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tim,

I am not clear about your last post. Did the manufacture suggest it was satisfactory to use the space-saver, but you dispute their suggestion and choose not to use the space-saver? Or was the range of the space-saver less than your anticipated journey to a suitable tyre depot?

I don't consider the reduced speed capability to be a major issue, as the time to change the wheel would have delayed your journey, and if you were already tight on time, then I feel you should have planned bigger contingency not just for possible tyre problems but also traffic/road and weather conditions

I wonder why you disregarded the tested permitted facilities provide by a car manufacture in favour of an uniformed opinion.

A space-saver wheel can be used in any situation not excluded or limited by the manufacture. The manufacture will have conducted tests to prove the suitability of their advice, where as uninformed opinions are just that; uninformed and not based on any factual or repeatable test results.

manufactures have no vested interest in suggesting tyre strategies that are dangerous. they would be in serious trouble if they did.

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I sold the car several years ago, but from memory the handbook recommends changing the tyre as soon as possible and I think also gave advice about driving style. It is very much a limp to the nearest garage device on that car. The car definitely did not feel as stable on the road with the space saver, even driving without the caravan. The twisty roads where we were staying could be quite unnerving particularly on LH bends (it was the RH rear that was punctured). On twisting roads the 50 mph limit was still way too high.
I certainly did not feel safe embarking on a journey of several hundred miles with a fully loaded car and caravan, and yes that was an informed judgement as I am an automotive engineer with quite a bit of experience with vehicles on test tracks. Allowing for sudden crosswinds or taking evasive action etc. the space saver is nowhere near as safe as the original road tyre. For me it was a thought process that didn't take very long. 300 BHP though a very narrow tyre on one side and a 255 tyre on the other also needs extra care.
As to manufacturers testing towing caravans with a space saver, I would be intrigued to see some results; particularly tests such as chicane braking and strong crosswinds. I have some doubts as to how much testing is actually carried out when the vehicle is towing period. With all the car manufactures I have worked for or worked with in the past, I think only Land Rover did very much testing towing trailers and still none with a caravan.
As with most things in life, each to their own, but I will personally never tow in Europe without a full size spare again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts