Space-saver spare wheel, and towing.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
A newer car for us and only a space-saver wheel. We've always had space for a full wheel in previous cars. What are others views on this please?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
TerryIvybridge said:
A newer car for us and only a space-saver wheel. We've always had space for a full wheel in previous cars. What are others views on this please?

Does the wheel well accommodate a full size spare? If so you could buy one and fit it. Do VW approve the space saver for towing?
My 2010 XC70 had a space saver that was 2 inch less in OD than the standard wheels and very narrow. Volvo were silent on its suitability for towing but had the need arose I would have used it as it was supplied with the car and rated to take a fully laden car albeit with a maximum speed of 50 mph. Although when towing I would have reduced it further.
However if the car maker specifically excludes towing with a space saver then I would have to accept that position.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Mine is a steel rim spare rather than alloy, much slimmer profile, and specifically not permitted for towing as well as the usual 80kmph limit. Previously when I had a puncture on a sunday lunchtime before home the following day, I had to vacate my pitch on Monday morning, leave the van on site, pay through the nose for a replacement tyre as it wasn't booked in advance online (!), then drive back to site before a late departure homeward bound. If you have room for a full size spare any potential similar hassle would be avoided - and what of a puncture to the car while actually towing?

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Clive. I'm just reading up on it. Not specificly about the Tig' but I was under the impression it was illegal to tow with one on. Seems ok as long as: The wheel fits both front (Disc and caliper) or rear? and that it's used only in order to drive to the nearest tyre repair facility. Not seen either the space-saver or it's home yet so not sure if a full size would fit?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Not bothered !! We also have a space saver never been used yet in the 3 years that we've had the car and even on the previous car that we had that had a space saver as well with Toyota 7-seater we had that for 7 year and it was only used once

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
TerryIvybridge said:
Thanks Clive. I'm just reading up on it. Not specificly about the Tig' but I was under the impression it was illegal to tow with one on. Seems ok as long as: The wheel fits both front (Disc and caliper) or rear? and that it's used only in order to drive to the nearest tyre repair facility. Not seen either the space-saver or it's home yet so not sure if a full size would fit?

Yes there are some cars with different rears to fronts. Also for towing approval some makers require the space saver to go on the rear as it’s more suited to not being a steering/braking tyre but if you have a rwd car then it’s better on the front to reduce the likelihood of LSD/differential damage.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
TerryIvybridge said:

Does the wheel well accommodate a full size spare? If so you could buy one and fit it. Do VW approve the space saver for towing?
My 2010 XC70 had a space saver that was 2 inch less in OD than the standard wheels and very narrow. Volvo were silent on its suitability for towing but had the need arose I would have used it as it was supplied with the car and rated to take a fully laden car albeit with a maximum speed of 50 mph. Although when towing I would have reduced it further.
However if the car maker specifically excludes towing with a space saver then I would have to accept that position.

I've had a Space Saver spare on my previous 2 cars, but the XC60 only came with the inflation kit so I wanted to get a spare wheel; the Genuine Volvo OEM Space Saver spare I have just purchased only just fits into the space under the boot floor so the deflated tyre would be going in the load area.

I have scoured the owners manual but there is nothing specific about towing with the spare fitted. Only the standard warning about it being temporary and not to exceed 80KM/H or 50MPH. Personally I would still use it, as it should be able to handle a fully loaded car, but perhaps only to get to a suitable place of safety, or complete a journey if I was near the destination.

otherclive said:
Yes there are some cars with different rears to fronts. Also for towing approval some makers require the space saver to go on the rear as it’s more suited to not being a steering/braking tyre but if you have a rwd car then it’s better on the front to reduce the likelihood of LSD/differential damage.

My Honda Civic could not take the Space Saver on the front axle due to the size of the front brakes. Any front puncture would require the rear wheel to be swapped.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Towed with a space saver once, there was a sharp intake of breath when I told the tyre fitter what I'd done, towed a few miles shouldn't have done it, although I had no problems handling wise. This motor came with an inflation kit. bought a steel spare from ebay, it was the smallest size to fit the vehicle, width wise. .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
TerryIvybridge said:

There is little point asking for others views about space savers, You have to be guided by the car manufacturers information about spare wheels pertaining to the model of car you have. What may be suggested for one make may not be suggested for other vehicles.

For what its worth, In my view the spare tyre whether is full size or space saver should be capable of replacing one of the road wheels and should allow the vehicle in any legally loaded state (including towing to be moved, unless the car manufacturer or the tyre manufacture place limitations on what it can do, for example not running about 50MPH, and perhaps a maximum distance. If they want to restrict the car from towing they should say so.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
The reason car manufacturers are doing it is to save weight to improve fuel consumption... Not that I agree with it, there should always be a full spare option

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
The reason car manufacturers are doing it is to save weight to improve fuel consumption... Not that I agree with it, there should always be a full spare option

Agreed, I would add that it saves them money too.

If the Reliant Robin was still in production it would not surprise me if the tight gits supplied a puncture repair kit instead of a spare wheel. :angry:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts