Space saver spare wheel for towing.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
As title; what is the general concensus in regards to towing please?

Whenever I have seen one of these wheels they do not look man enough to cope with a decent size pot hole let alone the weight of a reasonably large caravan.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Many thanks. ST.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fit it to the front of the car, drive as slow as safe, then get it changed ASAP.

 Edit, and as short a distance as possible.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Fit it to the front of the car, drive as slow as safe, then get it changed
The recommendation for the use of space savers are that, If you have a front wheel drive car the space saver should go on the back so steering and grip isn’t compromised. With a rear wheel drive car the space saver should go on the front otherwise damage may be caused to the rear differential especially if it’s a limited slip differential. There is also a 50 mph speed limit with space savers too so, motorway use isn’t advised.
Strictly speaking, the use of a space saver is purely an emergency option to get you to the nearest garage to get the damaged tyre repaired or replaced and refitted to the vehicle, not to allow you to continue a journey
Having said that, the OP doesn’t make it clear if they’re asking about the using a space saver on the towing vehicle or caravan. I’m not even sure if space savers are available for caravans but, I’m sure someone will know the answer.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The recommendation for the use of space savers are that, If you have a front wheel drive car the space saver should go on the back so steering and grip isn’t compromised. With a rear wheel drive car the space saver should go on the front otherwise damage may be caused to the rear differential especially if it’s a limited slip differential. There is also a 50 mph speed limit with space savers too so, motorway use isn’t advised.
Having said that, the OP doesn’t make it clear if they’re asking about the use of a space saver on the towing vehicle or caravan.
Look at the heading , space saver for towing, forget about limited slip diffs. It's not sport cars we are talking about.
Caravan Forum. 🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since 2000 my tow cars had full size spares except for a 2010 XC70 which had a space saver that was noticeably smaller diameter than the OEM wheels. Two Subarus came with space savers but I modified them to take a full size spare. My Superb 4wd estate came with a full-size spare but on a smaller OEM diameter wheel so it was stamped 50 mph.
Not easy to decide where to fit it as two cars had Haldex, and three permanent 4wd. The Sorento was easy as its 4WD could be changed to 2WD.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Worth investing in tubeless tire repair kit as backup to spacesaver. If you can do a temporary repair on main tire going be better option than fitted space saver.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The fear of wrecking a differential by use of a slightly different diameter tyre is overstated when talking about an emergency use space-saver spare wheel - by restricting the speed and distance to the manufacturers' design parameters no harm will come - after all differentials are designed to cope with differing wheel speeds when going round corners

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Worth investing in tubeless tire repair kit as backup to spacesaver. If you can do a temporary repair on main tire going be better option than fitted space saver.
Almost unheard of in the UK - a few of us carry "tyre strings" for such emergencies but we've very much a tiny minority.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
The great panacea, save a bit of weight by not needing a spare wheel.
Remembering of course that a lot of tyre dealers do not like working on tyres that have been filled with that stuff.
Get a split in the tyre and that stuff is about as useless as a chocolate fire guard!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have never heard of a space-saving tyre for a caravan. I would think the weight it would have to support, unless for a very small and lightweight 2 berth, would be excessive for a spacesaver. My single axle caravan comes in at 1500kg, so any space saver for it would have to have an absolute minimum load rating of 750Kg !
That's probably why no caravan manufacturer offers a spacesaver spare, only full size ones (with a suitably rated tyre)

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Almost unheard of in the UK - a few of us carry "tyre strings" for such emergencies but we've very much a tiny minority.
I need 3 or 4 16 gram Co2 cylinders for a motor bike tyre. . Don't know how many for my Santa Fe. 235.18 65.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never seen a space saver for a caravan, and knowing the caravan tyre has to deal with greater loads than most car tyres, I don't think you can even get them for caravans. But if you can get them, then use them in accordance with the manufacturers specific instructions for that caravan.

With regards to space savers for cars, then again you must follow the instructions your car manufacturer gives concerning use. I haven't seen all manufacturers instructions, but correspondence on this forum does suggest some car manufacturers don't allow towing when a space saver is fitted, and some do, so ignore any general advice you may been given and read up the car manufacturers specific instructions for your vehicle.

If you use a space saver incorrectly your insurance may be invalid.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have never seen a space saver for a caravan, and knowing the caravan tyre has to deal with greater loads than most car tyres, I don't think you can even get them for caravans. But if you can get them, then use them in accordance with the manufacturers specific instructions for that caravan.

With regards to space savers for cars, then again you must follow the instructions your car manufacturer gives concerning use. I haven't seen all manufacturers instructions, but correspondence on this forum does suggest some car manufacturers don't allow towing when a space saver is fitted, and some do, so ignore any general advice you may been given and read up the car manufacturers specific instructions for your vehicle.

If you use a space saver incorrectly your insurance may be invalid.
I’ve had a car where the owners manual makes no mention of using a space saver when towing. But since it’s designed to take the weight of the car when loaded at 50 mph then unless the maker ruled its use out I would use one depending on the circumstances at the time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I’ve had a car where the owners manual makes no mention of using a space saver when towing. But since it’s designed to take the weight of the car when loaded at 50 mph then unless the maker ruled its use out I would use one depending on the circumstances at the time.
Fully agree, but just to get to the nearest safe place to get a replacement.

Reactions: Slowtow
Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Strictly speaking, the use of a space saver is purely an emergency option to get you to the nearest garage to get the damaged tyre repaired or replaced and refitted to the vehicle, not to allow you to continue a journey
Having said that, the OP doesn’t make it clear if they’re asking about the using a space saver on the towing vehicle or caravan. I’m not even sure if space savers are available for caravans but, I’m sure someone will know the answer.
Tow car not caravan.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some manufacturers do set out special instructions and some don't, but your correct insofar the space saver should be rated for the MAM of the vehicle to which its fitted, and that's the same whether towing or not.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I bought a full size spare when I was towing with the Jeep, but because it didn't fit in the spare wheel well under the boot I had to carry it in the boot so only had it with me when towing - the rest of the time it lived in the garage.

The Citroen comes with a tyre repair kit, but it also comes with Citroen assist included in the package, so if I get a puncture while I'm towing, they'll be sorting it out. I'm also a member of Green Flag Mayday in case it's a caravan problem, or the car needs recovery and Citroen assist won't recover the caravan as well.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bought a full size spare when I was towing with the Jeep, but because it didn't fit in the spare wheel well under the boot I had to carry it in the boot so only had it with me when towing - the rest of the time it lived in the garage.

The Citroen comes with a tyre repair kit, but it also comes with Citroen assist included in the package, so if I get a puncture while I'm towing, they'll be sorting it out. I'm also a member of Green Flag Mayday in case it's a caravan problem, or the car needs recovery and Citroen assist won't recover the caravan as well.
In our Jeep the standard wheels are 20", but spare is 18" so it can fit under rear section. Our first Jeep had the drop down and a full size 18" spare same as all the other wheels.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
I have never heard of a space-saving tyre for a caravan. I would think the weight it would have to support, unless for a very small and lightweight 2 berth, would be excessive for a spacesaver. My single axle caravan comes in at 1500kg, so any space saver for it would have to have an absolute minimum load rating of 750Kg !
That's probably why no caravan manufacturer offers a spacesaver spare, only full size ones (with a suitably rated tyre)
Hi Mr P, I mean't having to a space saver on tow car. We are looking for another car ideally a Hyundai Sante Fe but only the earlier 2018 models come with standard size spare wheel. I don't ever fancy having to use a space saver whilst towing our 2016 Coachman 560 as its a fairly heavy single axle 'van.

TRENDING THREADS