Space saver spare wheel for towing.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Relax! My VW space saver has been designed and engineered to be used as a temporary spare even when towing. The only provisos are
Do not exceed 50 mph
Get a new full wheel / tyre replacement asap
Do not use with less than 3mm tread
Ensure the space saver is correctly and fully inflated per the instructions and specifications

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mr P, I mean't having to a space saver on tow car. We are looking for another car ideally a Hyundai Sante Fe but only the earlier 2018 models come with standard size spare wheel. I don't ever fancy having to use a space saver whilst towing our 2016 Coachman 560 as its a fairly heavy single axle 'van.
Space savers are designed to cope with the car at maximum load at up to 50 mph. Unless the car maker advises against it I would use a space saver if no other option was available. But they are for emergency use so I would only use it to get me to somewhere where I could have my tyre repaired or replaced.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Space savers are designed to cope with the car at maximum load at up to 50 mph. Unless the car maker advises against it I would use a space saver if no other option was available. But they are for emergency use so I would only use it to get me to somewhere where I could have my tyre repaired or replaced.

Whilst there is no mileage limit , as I said earlier and you have repeated it is good practice to get the original wheel tyre fixed asap. That said it would not stop me travelling long distance on the SS if needs must. I understand the SS is man enough to cope subject to my earlier comments.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
If boot has false floor with underfloor storage area then there normally is enough room to carry a full size spare. Will lose underfloor storage area in boot.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If boot has false floor with underfloor storage area then there normally is enough room to carry a full size spare. Will lose underfloor storage area in boot.
My two Foresters had a wheel well but it wouldn’t take the OEM wheels. In UK only space saver was provided but in Australia a full size spare would be fitted. But in Australia Subaru modified the boot floor to sit about 1 inch higher. I looked at importing the modification parts but I’m not a millionaire. So I just made my own out of high density poly foam and other bits. Not aesthetically as nice as the Oz ones but it worked.

Reactions: toad a caravan

TRENDING THREADS