Space saver

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wonder how long it will be before caravan manufacturers use space savers or a bottle of gunk instead of a spare wheel? Just surprised it has not already happened?

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I guess it's possible, after all it is weight-saving that drove car manufacturers this way - although this was principally in pursuit of improved fuel economy and reduced CO2 emissions, which caravans don't have to worry about and are not legislated for nor penalised for.

But given that a caravan axle, particularly a single axle, takes all of the load of the van on two tyres I'd take some convincing that a space-saver or gunk fix was appropriate even at a reduced speed.

Reactions: Thingy and Hutch
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Im with figbat there. I too would be underwhelmed with a space saver for the caravan. We should have one in madams volvo but that has been replaced with a real wheel and tyre.

Reactions: figbat
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I dont carry a spare wheel for the caravan, I wanted and needed to reduce weight, so its now down the side of the house along with the carrier!

I rely solely on the lighter option, aa and credit card!
😁

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I also agree with Figbat - my current caravan weighs more than most of my previous cars, and carries that weight on half the number of tyres. I might accept a space saver or gunk to get me from the site of the puncture to a place of safety (e.g. from the hard shoulder of the motorway to the next services), but I'm then going to need a full size wheel and tyre to complete my journey, and the easiest way to achieve that will be to have it with me.

I accept Darren and others' solution of letting a breakdown service deal with it - but in the past I've waited so long at the roadside for a breakdown service to attend (RAC in my case) that it would put a serious dent in my travel plans to have to wait the additional time for them to scare up a unit capable of dealing with a caravan problem.

I know weight management is important, but in my head a spare tyre is an essential, and I'll save that weight some other way.

Reactions: figbat and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I also agree with Figbat - my current caravan weighs more than most of my previous cars, and carries that weight on half the number of tyres. I might accept a space saver or gunk to get me from the site of the puncture to a place of safety (e.g. from the hard shoulder of the motorway to the next services), but I'm then going to need a full size wheel and tyre to complete my journey, and the easiest way to achieve that will be to have it with me.

I accept Darren and others' solution of letting a breakdown service deal with it - but in the past I've waited so long at the roadside for a breakdown service to attend (RAC in my case) that it would put a serious dent in my travel plans to have to wait the additional time for them to scare up a unit capable of dealing with a caravan problem.

I know weight management is important, but in my head a spare tyre is an essential, and I'll save that weight some other way.
I am with you Gozza, a spare tyre for the caravan is an essential, I did see a program many years ago, about 24hrs with the AA, an they only carried one spare wheel and that appeared to be a space saver, and on my caravan at 1645kg all up weight, I would not want to go to far on it. I do have Green Flag with the dual recovery, but I would have to look at the small print about not having a spare caravan wheel.

Reactions: figbat
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I weighed everything once put it on a spreadsheet.
Spare Wheel 18.1 kg
Carrier 5.4kg

They had to go, along with the carpets 7.4kg.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The spare wheel is in the caravan but the carpets what came with the van are in the garage they needed cleaning the previous ownerhad three Husky dogs and the amount of dog hair . :)

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
The spare wheel is in the caravan but the carpets what came with the van are in the garage they needed cleaning the previous ownerhad three Husky dogs and the amount of dog hair . :)
Wait for a sunny day then pressure wash em!
You could be waiting a long time mind 😁

Do our car mats and large kitchen rug, brings them up a treat

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Wait for a sunny day then pressure wash em!
You could be waiting a long time mind 😁

Do our car mats and large kitchen rug, brings them up a treat
I could leave them out and put some varnish carpet cleaner on the mats and we keep having a odd shower that should take some of the smell off :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts