Space saving spare wheels.

May 31, 2005
Visit site
I am considering the purchase of an X3. Has anyone any experiences of this car. I have one major reservation, ie the space saver spare wheel. Has anyone ever had to tow a van hwilst using one of these.

Larry McCrory

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If I remember correctly, there was a thread on the same subject a couple of months ago. I think the conclusion was that the space saver, while adequate to cope with the load (it has to survive a fully laden car and that load must not be exceeded when towing, either), is not a 'get-you-home' tyre but a 'get-you-to-the-nearest-garage' soltuion. Handling will undoubtedly suffer and one should proceed very carefully and at considerably reduced speed when a space saver is fitted. Frankly, I'd be very wary of using one, especially when towing.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As has been said, this topic was covered a while ago, but , having a vehicle which has a spacesaver, I would strongly suggest that you make sure, yourself, that thhe replacement tyres are actually available for it. The reason for this comment is that Renault provide a spacesaver for which there are NO tyres readily available for it in the UK and it can take 4 weeks to get one from Europe.

Secondly, they are definately not a "Get You Home" solution, they are only to get you to the nearest tyre depot, and preferably not with a fully laden van on the back.

I have changed my spacesaver for a steel full size wheel, as it still fits the wheel well, its just a bit wider, so ground clearance is slightly reduced, as it is stored under the car.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts