Spacer saver spare tires

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In view of the fact that that space saver wheels are only meant to get you to the nearest dealer and not to complete a journey it is unlikely that such limited use is going to result in serious damage to any component.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
There is no point in quoting what the instructions are for one particular model, becasue what might apply to your model may not apply or something different might apply for other vehicles. There is no universal set of instructions.

In all cases you should refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the model vehicle you are driving.

we were discussing the reason why I carry a full size spare.

and it’s not an uncommon manufactures stipulation not to tow using a space saver with fluid pump diff - And those manufacturers that do approve of towing often require you to swap the space saver to the rear if towing, a right pfaff on a wet night if the punctures on the front.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

and it’s not an uncommon manufactures stipulation not to tow using a space saver with fluid pump diff - And those manufacturers that do approve of towing often require you to swap the space saver to the rear if towing, a right pfaff on a wet night if the punctures on the front.
Whilst you might like to think I was replying to your specific comment - I wasn't. Regardless of what you personally choose to do. Not everybody has room to take a full size spare. The best advice for those people who ONLY have a space saver is to check the car manufacturers instructions, and not try to follow examples of other users and vehicles which might be wrong for their particular car.

Just consider if an incident did occur whilst using a space saver and the driver explained they were following your advice where do you think they would stand? The drivers actions will be judged against the manufacturer's instructions not what you happen to think is correct.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Fluid pump diff ? Is that the Haldex system? My 2010 Volvo XC70 advised fitting the space saver to the rear in all circumstances which was clearly best as the space saver was 2 inch less OD than the OEM wheel/ tyres. I wasn’t too concerned as on the rear with Haldex a relatively low percentage of the power goes to the rear in normal driving even when towing. And with a space saver fitted for a relatively short distance you are aware of its limitations and drive accordingly.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Given the large variance in vehicles and peoples opinions there is not going to be a 'one solution fits all'. Please try and keep these discussions free from what will appear to be confrontational statements.

Can I also take the opportunity to remind members of the Community Rules here...https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/threads/practical-caravan-official-community-rules.61826/

One of which is not creating multiple accounts to get around a warning or ban.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Fluid pump diff ? Is that the Haldex system? My 2010 Volvo XC70 advised fitting the space saver to the rear in all circumstances which was clearly best as the space saver was 2 inch less OD than the OEM wheel/ tyres. I wasn’t too concerned as on the rear with Haldex a relatively low percentage of the power goes to the rear in normal driving even when towing. And with a space saver fitted for a relatively short distance you are aware of its limitations and drive accordingly.

Similar system on the CRV, pump and clutch pack. The pump spilts power front and rear, then across the axles. It’s a good system but sensitive to any wheel asymmetry. Iirc, 1.5mm difference in diameter will trigger torque shifting. After a spate of burnt up diffs on their early cars, (had a new diff clutch under extended warranty), Honda simply said ‘no’ to space savers for towing or one new tyre, you have to replace them in pairs and the service book calls for annual tyre rotation to ensure even wear.
Fortunately, Honda still keep the spare wheel well big enough to take a full size spare.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts