spare wheel carrier

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Hello i have a twin wheel caravan with a motor mover on each wheel, the rear two are stopping me using the spare wheel carrier. Is there any way to adapt the spare wheel carrier to continue to use the existing spare wheel carrier thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello i have a twin wheel caravan with a motor mover on each wheel, the rear two are stopping me using the spare wheel carrier. Is there any way to adapt the spare wheel carrier to continue to use the existing spare wheel carrier thanks.
I’ve removed them on any caravan that has been fitted with one. Then carried the spare wheel in the caravan where it stays clean and is quickly available if required. It’s also much safer that way when on the Continent where you would be withdrawing the wheel carrier into the moving vehicle lane. When on site the spare would be chained under the chassis where it can’t be seen, especially if the awning was up.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I assume that this is the standard ALKO carrier and I have not heard of anyone doing this. If you post details of the make, model and year someone may have an answer, but I am not convinced. Possibly a photo so we can see exactly how bad things are would help.
Personally I would go along with otherclive if it is possible to store the wheel in the caravan. usually under a fitted bed is the best place. It stays dry, is easily accessible there and is safe from theft.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Take the carrier off, and stow the spare wheel either in the caravan or in your car. Imagine trying to replace a flat tyre withe the wheel in the carrier. Dangerous.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Take the carrier off, and stow the spare wheel either in the caravan or in your car. Imagine trying to replace a flat tyre withe the wheel in the carrier. Dangerous.
Plus the added advantage of less weight, on van. My spare travels in the car, along with other bulky items.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well on our Abbey the spare wheel is in the carrier if i get a Puncture it will not be me that what i have breakdown cover for .

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Stuart. .I had a mover fitted to the rear wheels of a 2016 twin axle Lunar by the supplying dealer. They fitted brackets, secured to the holes for the wheel carrier which allowed the carrier to be mounted further back. I don't know if the brackets were Alko branded but I believe Powrtouch can supply.
Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some TA vans - Baileys, use a winch to hold the spare under the floor ( as do several 4x4s) The floors have special reinforcement to take the winch, but I don't see why a metal spreader plate would not do the job. The wheel weighs about 26 -28Kg which is a lot less as a point load than the owner stranding on one leg inside the caravan ( don't ask). I'm investigting thiss at the moment as the room inside the caravan under the bed is not available for the spare, and I really want rid of the terrible Alko carrier.
There is an earlier thread on this matter about a year ago.

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
I’ve removed them on any caravan that has been fitted with one. Then carried the spare wheel in the caravan where it stays clean and is quickly available if required. It’s also much safer that way when on the Continent where you would be withdrawing the wheel carrier into the moving vehicle lane. When on site the spare would be chained under the chassis where it can’t be seen, especially if the awning was up.
The Alko carrier can be reversed so can be accessed from the opposite side

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Alko carrier can be reversed so can be accessed from the opposite side
I know but you then have the faff of putting it back again for U.K. journeys. By removing it I saved some payload and had an infinitely easier time if I had to use it, whilst keeping cleaner too.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I had my caravan serviced in January. The mechanic said that carrier was corroded and needed quite a bit of lubrication to allow it to be pulled out (even though the caravan is only 4 years old).
So, after lock-down, am going to remove the carrier completely, clean the spare wheel. Perhaps I'll wrap it in clingfilm before storing it under the bed in future. Should make access a lot easier/safer if/when the worse happens.
I saw a YouTube video that said that spare wheels were often forgotten about until a puncture happened then owners often had a right job accessing the spare or that the spare was in an unroadworthy condition.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That why i have my caravan service every year they check the spare wheel it very clean and the carrier gets resealed my caravan is not new but it still looks great underneath ..

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought my van when it was just over three years old, full service history. One of the first thing I did was to check the spare.

The carrier worked well but, the spare was a mess, almost a pile of rust and the tyre had two groves where it sat on the carrier,.

First thing took carrier off, bought a new tyre and spent hours removing the rust and repainting, looks brand new.

Travels in the boot now.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought my van when it was just over three years old, full service history. One of the first thing I did was to check the spare.

The carrier worked well but, the spare was a mess, almost a pile of rust and the tyre had two groves where it sat on the carrier,.

First thing took carrier off, bought a new tyre and spent hours removing the rust and repainting, looks brand new.

Travels in the boot now.
How much extra weight is that in your boot have you consider your nose weight

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
This is the spare wheel on my old Swift Corniche, why designers can't do this now!!IMAG000134.JPG
Easy to get nose weight.IMAG000424.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When my Abbey caravan left the factory the caravan was brand new with the spare wheel underneath and that my prefence choice than putting in the boot or in the caravan

Reactions: DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts