Spare Wheel Manoeuvres

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
After removing my spare carrier, chucking that, and having to buy a new tyre, because the carrier had damaged it. Then spent hours cleaning a layer of rust off and repainting it and after carrying it in the boot for a while.
I picked up an idea from another forum, I finally found a place in the van, It's under the nearside bed, just in front of the axle.
I had to lift the heating pipe up, then turn the bed support through about 30 deg. lifted it off the floor to clear the gas drop hole, and it fits as snug as a bug in a rug. See pics I'll turn the wheel over for for a fixing point and a bit of storage.

20200701_151329.jpg20200701_160224.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The spare wheel is far better there as safe from theft and kept clean as well as being easy to get at if needed. Possibly it would be better to have it fixed in position though so it cannot move.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The spare wheel is far better there as safe from theft and kept clean as well as being easy to get at if needed. Possibly it would be better to have it fixed in position though so it cannot move.
Yes, I'm going to turn it over. I've still got the mounting wingnut thingy from the carrier. Got have a think how I can fix it.

If I have too, I could fix through the floor, with a hefty plate underneath to spread the load but, I'll have a think before I do that.

How are they fixed under the fixed bed in vans??

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would look on you tube as most things are there. I know it has been done but cannot remember where I saw it, possibly it was on here or in the magazine if you try the search button.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mine just sits on a piece of carpet under the fixed bed , same position as it would have been on the carrier almost, It doesn't move at all.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I moved mine out from a carrier and into the van it sat in the under bed area at the front of the stowage. I used some of that grippy non slip matting under the wheel and it didn’t move. With yours any soft stuff in the locker will keep the wheel in place. Unless of course your tow car is 900 bhp with launch control.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I carried the spare under fixed bed 2 caravans ago on a rubber mat without any further fixing and had no trouble whatsoever. Perhaps due to the reat of the space being filled with plastic crates, soft bags containing carpets , or clothes or whatever. Someting similar on top of the wheel. Just don't leave any space for it to move.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
. lifted it off the floor to clear the gas drop hole,

That is not a gas drop hole, it is one of the fixed ventilation requirements, so no problem with what you have done.
If it were a gas drop hole there would be gas burning appliance directly above it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts