Spare Wheel

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
We've got a 2008 Lunar Qasar 524 fitted with a power mover. I'm wondering whether I should get a spare wheel & carrier fitted as we've lots of trips planned for this year. Clearly a sensible precaution, but I'm wondering if the additional weight in addition to the power mover will cause load issues. I tow with a 56 plate Mondeo diesel estate.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi
I wouldn't go anywhere without a spare wheel. What would you do if you had a puncture? - breakdown services won't even come out.
We carry our in the gas locker - easier to get to than an underslung carrier (which adds even more weight). It depends on the whether the extra weight of the wheel puts you over the max permitted weight for the caravan, or whether the nose weight would be a probem if carrying it in the gas locker.
If there is a problem with weight I would carry it in the boot of the car.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Like Keith I wouldn't be without a spare wheel. Whilst there may be space and a fitting for holding the spare wheel in the front locker, it will really have an effect on nose weight. True, an under-slung carrier will add a few Kg overall, but having the weight just behind the axle is much better. That's where it is on my Senator. I always make sure the spare wheel carrier tubes are greased as part of the caravan's annual service.
Mike

May 12, 2011
Visit site
A spare wheel is a must but forget the underslung carrier, IMHO they are a waste of time. Two of us tried to release the spare wheel on my nearly new Swift last summer. It was on our wide solid drive, it was a sunny day and we had all the access to tools, grease, crowbars and it took over an hour to get it out. Once off I've now put it under the fixed bed near the axle, a comparable location as far as weight is concerned.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
hi, I think that it is almost criminal for caravan makers not to provide a spare wheel and stowage. I have an Alko carrier behind the axle and a Reich mover in front so they virtually balance each other out. Never had a problem with the mover grounding on speed ramps, ferry ramps or kerbs even though the Reich is probably the lowest ground clearance mover out there. You can get the wheel carrier moved back on some chassis if you want the mover behind the axle.
My main issue with the alko wheel carrier is that if the van has a puncture it drops down and it can be very difficult to slide out the wheel until the van is jacked up. Even on our level drive the wheel carrier has to e slewed to the back of the van to remove the wheel. Regular graesing is essential but does not overcome the fundamental design limitations.
Abroad you will have to confront removing the wheel carrier into the traffic stream. So to cut a long story short I now carry the spare wheel in the van where it lays flat on the floor over the axle. On site I slide it under the van and use a security chain to attach it to the chassis. With the awning skirt in place it cannot be seen by passers.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You do realise that the weight of the power mover and that of a spare wheel & carrier all comes out of your available payload, so you won't be able to put as much else in the caravan? According to the information that I have available, the MIRO of a 2008 Lunar Quasar 524 is 1188kg and its MTPLM 1380kg, leaving you less than 200kg of available payload. If you don't put much inside the caravan you'll be alright, but if you're anything like us and everything bar the kitchen sink goes with us, you could be in deep trouble.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello acbruce.
I can only say that a spare wheel in my opinion is a must.
I have recently got a new van with alco carrier and spare wheel fitted. I had read reviews of the difficulties with removing the wheel in actual puncture conditions both at home and abroad and resolved to have a few practice removal sessions at home to familiarise with the procedure. however when using our mover to locate our van besides the house the ground clearance of the carrier was so low we could not clear a fence post locating sleeve we have in the ground that enables us to easily remove two fence panels to get the van in. So i'm not sure if all carriers are like this one but you need to consider clearance
My problem solved easily though, I now carry the spare in the car boot and have removed the carrier (a surprisingly easy and quick job) My wife has sorted out a cover for the wheel so it stays clean and the wheel and carrier removal from the van of-sets some of the additional motor mover weight that I had calculated as payload. I know that I shall have to account for car loading factors but we don't carry lots of equipment with us so we don't think it will be an issue. Further to all this the only downside is that I now have in my garage, a carrier stood with all the other thousand and one things that I am keeping "JUST IN CASE"
My advice would be to get the wheel but forget the carrier (No groveling under the van at the roadside in the rain. Changing the wheel is enough trauma in those conditions without issues of removing the Spare. even with the best greased and maintained carrier)
All the best Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
KeithJ said:
Brian - I didn't even bother to keep my carrier when I took it off - it went straight to the tip!!
I think that could be the way I will Go Keith. With it being Brand New I've tried it on ebay just to get rid. But when I've fell over it a couple of times in the garage it will be away to the tip!!!
I hope non of us ever have to use the spare wheels. But I think it is important to carry one.
cheers Brian

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well the day will come when the manufacturers wake up and realise two of the most important accessories are a spare wheel and a mover.
smiley-cool.gif

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Only one week before I'm off to Devon but what’s all this about having a spare wheel.
I had better get out there this weekend and have a look or better still see if I can get it from place of hiding.
I think it is under the van as it is not in the locker.
I have always called the AA when I owned my 4x4 but alas that had to go, are you saying they will not change the van wheel in a emergence, I was under the impression they did everything, heating, plumbing, deliver baby's.
smiley-laughing.gif

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My van came with the spare and ALKO carrier as standard. I don’t understand the difficulty some people appear to have with this set up. Providing the wheel and carrier are well maintained it’s a doddle to get out. If you are unfortunate enough to get a puncture it’s easy to drive the flat tyre up a levelling ramp to gain enough clearance to remove the spare. Why would you want to hump a spare in & out of your boot or caravan every trip un-necessarily? Indeed, on my last van I purchased a carrier from flee bay so I could relocate the spare from the front locker where it was causing me nose weight problems.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Many, many thanks for all the replies. So I'll get a spare and I could *** along to my local Chichester Caravans and get one but does anyone know of a good reliable online source wher I might get one a bit cheaper, just by way of comparison? Cheers.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Sorry acbruce - I can't answer that one (about an online source), but just to answer Reg & Pat's question - when I said breakdown services won't come out to change a wheel I meant if you haven't got a spare - that applies to cars and caravans. If you have got a spare at least some will come out to a caravan, but not all. I'm not sure what happens if you have a car that is not supplied with a spare.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Keith, I reversed the van in to the car park space next to my house put on vis jacket jacked up the van, released the under wheel thingy, all going well so far.
Undone two nuts that also held wheel on to the bracket (after finding a spanner) then yanked the carrier out as far as it would go.
Removed wheel, checked tyre presser 50psi.
Then the fun begins, put wheel on carrier put bolts on, pushed carrier, pushed again, push, push, push, take off wheel, push carrier in a small bit, put wheel on, stand on head and lift wheel and carrier up.
Yes its dead easy, just need to be 25, fit and swear a lot.
So if you see me in a lay-by on the way to Devon next week please stop and help.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you have the under caravan carrier make sure you do not park close to a wall, bank or hedge etc as you will need loads of space to slide the carrier out. It is fine on a hard shoulder of a motorway but if you get a puncture on a lot of roads you will need loads of space. Try a dummy run to see just how much space you need. Needless to say I now carry my spare in the back of the vehicle where I can get at it and the jack easily. The inconvenience of having to load the spare is a small price to pay for the safety aspect and reduced weight to tow.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all
ive never bought a brand new caravan from a dealer before but the van i have now (swift rapide 490) came with a spare wheel in the gas locker but it never came with a jack
the question i have is,do new vans that are supplied with spare wheels have a jack included?

hgv dave

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We have a spare wheel for the caravan - but keep it in the boot of the car. There are only two of us, so there's plenty of space, and it just does underneath everything else. It's easy enough to remove in case of problems - and we've had a blow-out in the past so that's speaking from experience. The jack is also kept in there, too, as they are both heavy items and awkward to find spaces for in the caravan.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
hgv dave hi all ive never bought a brand new caravan from a dealer before but the van i have now (swift rapide 490) came with a spare wheel in the gas locker but it never came with a jack the question i have is said:
Hello Dave I have recently bought a new Van And it did come with a spare wheel. (I have a couple of comments on this thread)
However There was no jack supplied and I managed to get a Kojak Light for a good price from Argos.
This was after posting in the general section of this Forum and I received a good deal of informed advice.
My post was fairly recent headed "Alko Or Kojak Jack" It's frustrating that not all van suppliers include a suitable jack I suppose they are worried about complications if people mis-use them & try to claim from the company etc. (just a thought)
If you are looking to buy a jack it may be worth your while looking at the advice I received from my post.
regards Brian

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
naw..............dont need a jack as i have a trolly jack that i always take with me just in case,i can use the trolly jack on the car and van and it rides in the boot of the car

hgv dave

TRENDING THREADS