spare wheel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey, OC this will make you laugh, my used spare wheel/tyre turned up yesterday and quess what it won't fit in the boot recess,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey, OC this will make you laugh, my used spare wheel/tyre turned up yesterday and quess what it won't fit in the boot recess,
Camel
I had a similar problem with my last Forester. It was an OEM wheel with correct sized tyre. I had gone along that route as Forester SJ models imported into Australia had to have a full size spare. What I didn’t know was that the load area floor was raised slightly to accommodate what was about 0.5 inch mismatch. I just put some hard foam around my load area where the boot floor touched the car. Some suggested keeping the spare under inflated which sort of defeats the object, especially when it will be lashing down with rain.
Hope you can sort out a fix.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Same with my Insignia,when I replace the space saver. The spare is a good Two inches above the boot floor. On the Hatch back you could buy fillets to fill the void then the boot floor sat on them and the spare. They were useful as they had cubby holes to store your nick knacks.
On my present Insignia, I replaced the inflation kit. Being an Estate, the boot floor sits nicely on top of the spare then there is a fillet behind the rear seat to support the floor there.
The floor is very rigid though.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Don't want to chop the boot about to make the wheel fit but quite happy to run round and use the tyre save until I have the caravan on the back,

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
When I bought the spare, I bought the smallest steel wheel, width wise, Not bothered if steel. it'll only be used for a short time. If I bought the same size alloy, as fitted, that would take up even more space.

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
We have had two simple repairable punctures in the last 3 years, had to resort to foam both times. Two new tyres in both cases.
Now with the caravan I have gone on Ebay and got a 2nd hand Alloy for our Seat Altea, £60 inc delivery, money well spent.
Might be of interest, I bought a Ring two cylinder air pump from Screw Fix, easily copes with the high pressures for Caravans and Motorhomes, does the car in seconds!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Was that because the tyre repair people wouldn't repair the tyres because you had used goo kit? If so what reasons did they give.....H&S no doubt.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I've tried to use that inflation foam several times when I worked for a main dealer collecting cars from other dealers in my case that foam just would not do what it said on the tin especially on low profile tyres, like you I bought myself a proper spare wheel for my Kuga off ebay I know it is a used tyre but it will only be in the car when I'm off with the caravan,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The gunge kits will not repair the tyre is there is any damage, so could turn out to be useless when you need it. All recovery policies have the odd failure although the RAC seem to be getting more flack these days. Mayday through the CAMH seems to do best in reviews, but is not infallible.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It must be my lucky week I won £30.00 on the football last weekend £140.00 on the lottery on Wednesday and this morning I took my new used spare wheel and tyre down to kwikfit to check the balance which thay did they also blew the tyre up all for free,

Reactions: JezzerB and DaveA1
Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
Nice one Camel send some of your good luck this way will you.
i have decided to carry the spare as others have said in the caravan and put it underneath when on site and hope to never use it
The RAC will be no more when it expires and i will give green flag a try if nothing else thy will be a lot cheaper then the RAC i can not see how they can be worse it still sticks in my throat 5 months later
thanks for all your replies
regards
captain

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I recommend GreenFlag/Mayday. I have been a member for 30 years, possibly 40 years. They will rescue caravans of any size. I have used them several times, they always arrive late, but who cares, we are on holiday.

Reactions: Hutch and DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts