Speed Camera Detects Caravan?

Aug 11, 2005
Visit site
I don't want to start a speed camera argument on here, there's already been plenty of discussions on the rights and wrongs of cameras.

So it's a simple question, do the Gatsos detect a car and caravan outfit? Bearing in mind you should be doing no more than 50mph on a single carriageway where the national speed limit applies, as should HGV's.

I'd never given it a thought until I read somewhere on here that someone inferred they had been caught at 60mph whilst towing on the A15.

Anyone know the facts ?

Stuart.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe they can be set for the different speed limitations of certain outfits, such as 60 for , 50 for car/caravans/trailers and lorries.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I work for Grampian Police & asked some Traffic cops about vehicles towing caravans being caught by speed camera`s. I was told the camera cannot distinguish whether a car is towing a caravan or not. The only way they would know is if the vehicle was going over the speed limit by 10 mph when the camera would take a photograph of the offending vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Older speed cameras can only detect the speed, not the type of vehicle, so are set for the highest limit applicable ie cars.

Newer speed camera systems CAN distinguish the general type of vehicle and trigger at the set "allowance" over that vehicles speed limit. I'm not sure whether the systems can tell the difference between car + caravan and LGV's which is why the photo still has to be interpreted manually.

The type of system does vary considerably across the country.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts