spelling and grammar

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
can everyone who uses this forum put on their speelchekker it is teribul reedin this and looks like a bunch of unedukated oaffs rightin to companys and complaynin aboot anyhing thay wil laf wen they sea you kant evin spel nevir mned thretin to tak tae coart. wise up please it's not that difficult.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew,

I agree that it is much easier to read a properly formulated posting, but this forum is for anyone who has a question about caravanning regardless of thier ability in English, or computer skills.

The forum does not have an built-in spell checker so I am sure there are folks out there who may not know how to use a checker, and indeed some may not have one at all.

The important thing is that the poster can make their point without fear of rebuke for what might be a particular difficulty with language or ability with computers for them.

Sadly there has been at least one instance where a poster with a disability has been abused to the point where they now feel they cannot continue on this forum. The people who have been responsible for this dreadful attitude have discriminated and caused avoidable distress.

There is a forum etiquette, but accurate written English is not part of it's riders.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew,

I agree that it is much easier to read a properly formulated posting, but this forum is for anyone who has a question about caravanning regardless of thier ability in English, or computer skills.

The forum does not have an built-in spell checker so I am sure there are folks out there who may not know how to use a checker, and indeed some may not have one at all.

The important thing is that the poster can make their point without fear of rebuke for what might be a particular difficulty with language or ability with computers for them.

Sadly there has been at least one instance where a poster with a disability has been abused to the point where they now feel they cannot continue on this forum. The people who have been responsible for this dreadful attitude have discriminated and caused avoidable distress.

There is a forum etiquette, but accurate written English is not part of it's riders.
Andrew!

I have seen some of your other recent posts and for some one who is complaining about correct spelling by others I would have thought that you would have followed the rules of English grammar that includes capital letters at the beginning of sentences, names comma's and full stops.

I make no claims about my own abilities I this area.

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Andrew!

I have seen some of your other recent posts and for some one who is complaining about correct spelling by others I would have thought that you would have followed the rules of English grammar that includes capital letters at the beginning of sentences, names comma's and full stops.

hi, just as well someone is one word.! thanks.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
"Someone" refers to an unspecified member of a group of people.

"Some one" refers to an unspecified member of a group of people that is being selected for individual attention.

Looks like it's two words in this case

Brian ;O)

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The human brain is capable of a lot - even coping with 'uneducated oafs'. See below:

Only great minds can read this

This is weird, but interesting!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
What an intolerant, unforgiving and arrogant post by the O.P. Not everyone is blessed with good grammatical, spelling and language skills, especially if they have a disability such as dyslexia (my husband suffers with this). However, the fact that someone can't spell or use proper grammar doesn't make them a lesser person. Indeed, they should be admired for making the effort to post, particularly if they are dyslexic and despite coming across people with little or no tolerance or understanding.

Well done to John for putting across his answer so well and explaining that not everyone knows how to use a spellchecker, even if they had one.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
andrew

Yes i agree with you. But at the same time people are posting on a caravan forum, so it is not required for a post to be word perfect.

My grammar is quite often only average, and sometimes when i read my own post, i often sit shaking my head in disgust.

So please forgive me, sometimes i am tired, maybe i have drunk too much, etc.

But one thing that really grates is the quote " we have a 4 BIRTH caravan"

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Before the topic degenerates into a personal attack on the OP (which would be understandable) let me just say that this is a CARAVAN forum which caters for all kinds of people with all kinds of skills.

It is NOT a place where absolute correct use or spelling is mandatory, nor absolute correct punctuation is mandatory.

It IS a forum for help and problem solving, however that problem may be written, as long as the message is able to be understood and answered.

If one has nothing better to do than pick at posts because they do not appear to written, in the viewers opinion, correctly,I would suggest that they have too much time on their hands.

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
hi, thanks for that ray, i was not getting at anyone with a disability as some have said, i was moaning about the way people use words wrongly as you state 4-birth, we was , i fink etc. the English language is being diluted and will be lost i blame the education system

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Just a point you can cut and paste on to word and then spell check, by the way l dont agree with what Andrew has said, we not all perfect, look at the educated people that are running our banks and Country.

NigelH

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. I have a severly dyslexic, now adult, son who has manged to get a degree in spite of spelling that is worse than the example given by Val. When you are that Dyslexic spellcheckers often haven't got a clue; the human brain might be able to decifer Val's passsage but a spellchecker won't. At best it will come up with a series of alternative spellings. If you are very Dyslexic you won't know which is the right one! My son's best example was a letter in which he was attempting "Dear Sir or Madam" He got "Dear Sir or Madmen". I agree with everyone that it is not OK that anyone is belittled for poor reading or spelling ability. However I do think it is down to individuals to do their very best with the skills they have and not to join in with the the dumbing down of the English language with txt spelling or sloppiness.

mel

G

hi, thanks for that ray, i was not getting at anyone with a disability as some have said, i was moaning about the way people use words wrongly as you state 4-birth, we was , i fink etc. the English language is being diluted and will be lost i blame the education system
dis iz da tlk chav cavan bord wer we tlk chav, so go ahed andy.

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
This is a caravan forum trying to help people with problems not to knock them down over grammer and spelling, if i was new to this forum comments like this would put me of posting anythink

Mark

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew!

Mistakes in all contributions so far, and in this two probably.

Agree with your message though John.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts