Split charger relay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just fitted a split charger relay and a 12s socket. I connected the sensor wire to the alternator warning light wire. The light does not now go out, so I have temporarily disconnected it. Whilst chatting to a chum about it, he told me I've put the relay in the wrong place anyway- the rear of the vehicle. He reckons it should be at the front, as the volt drop will be too low to make it work properly. Who is right?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scouser, there used to be problems with the relays when fitting the relay drive wire to the alternator warning light. You could just connect it to a source that is live when the ignition is on and it will serve the same purpose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The split charge relay will work at the front or back no problem, but it sounds like you may have wired the sense lead wrong (down to ground maybe?)What vehicle is it, some don't work the same

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The split charge relay will work at the front or back no problem, but it sounds like you may have wired the sense lead wrong (down to ground maybe?)What vehicle is it, some don't work the same
I have my charge relay wired through the ignition so that it's energised when the ignition is on. I had considered taking the earth from the relay to the oil pressure warning switch so that the relay would only close when I had oil pressure (ie when the engine's running). Any views on this? Might I need a (couple of?) diodes to stop backfeeding?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts