Squeaky Brakes

PW

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2000 model Coachman Amara 500/5 that's been reasonably serviced.

The brakes seem to function well enough but I notice that after (not during) brake application the brakes will squeak/squeal particularly when traveling slow say on approach to a stop.

Any advice on what the cause and solution might be?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Would suggest that something is binding and needs lubricating. As speed increases so the noise will rise in pitch so that you cannot hear it. So you will need to strip the brakes down and check that everything is free. If in any doubt, as it is brakes, get a dealer to do it for you.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would suspect one of the following:

1. There is a stone or gravel in one of the brake drums

2. A brake shoe is not sitting properly

3. The brakes are badly adjusted

4. New brake linings were installed at the last service and they haven't bedded in yet.

If it's not No. 3, you'll have to strip the brakes down to check or have it done for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There could be a build up of brake dust in the drum but modern hubs require a torque wrench of high capacity to re tighten the nuts.

I have had this problem and asked on servicing for it to be looked at.On one occasion when the problem still persisted I removed the drum to find detached piece of friction material.

Caravan brakes on my caravans anyway seem to squeal more these days possibly due to the move away from asbestos based linings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just been away in France and Derbyshire for the best part of 6 weeks and missed the bickering--thankfully

This topic was about binding/sqeaky brakes I believe !!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PW, having read your question and having had time to think about it, I would think that , as you say the noise happens AFTER braking, that the brakes are not releasing fully, which may be due to several possibilities. The simplest is lack of lubrication on the brake rods, or a build up of dirt on them.It may be due to the hitch needing attention, or the brakes themselves need attention.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just been away in France and Derbyshire for the best part of 6 weeks and missed the bickering--thankfully

This topic was about binding/sqeaky brakes I believe !!!
Dont worry, there will be other opertunities for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts