squeaky caravan brakes

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Asked dealer to check brakes on our Bailey Pageant Moselle during a service as they tend to squeal on braking after doing about 15 miles. They said they were fine, and there is nothing they can do about the squeaking. The noise is driving us mad - has anyone got any ideas?

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Michelle

We had exactly the same thing on our Sterling Eccles Emerald.

Apparently it can be caused through a build up of brake dust in the drum although it would seem that it needs very little to cause it if the brake shoe / drum assembly are prone to creating the noise. We had our caravan serviced including cleaning out the dust from the drums before a holiday in France. The silence lasted for about 250 miles so we had a whole touring holiday of a couple of thousand miles with the noise that makes everyone look around.

We eventually remedied our problem by changing the brake drums. Our service engineer got our replacement drums from a scrap caravan that he had and charged us next to nothing for the work and parts. I think he was fed up with me complaining aboput the noise all the time !

Alko, who made our chassis and running gear, are aware that this problem can happen as they publish a leaflet that shows that the pads on the brake shoes can be grooved in very specific places. The idea is to reduce what I believe is sympathetic resonance. We were going to try it if the drum change didn't work.

Hope you get it sorted. We know how you feel !

Regards

John M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts