Aug 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi,could anybody help please.We are new to caravanning and are about to go on our first journey.We have noticed a loud creaking noise when reversing our van.Wondered if anyone had any ideas what this could be.Have just bought the van and it has supposedly been checked over before we drove it away.Its a bit scary when we don’t know what it can be.Many thanks.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Wb. The most common reason for a squeak, growing into and Elephant howling behind you, is a dirty towball, if you have and Alko towhitch. Crud inside the towhitch can be cleaned with solvents, and wet/dry paper , emery cloth . Make sure you tow ball is paint free, and degreased if it An alko. .
If its not a tow hitch with a stabilizer unit built in then some one else will help.
Hope this helps.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use brake dust cleaner on the towball and squirt some into the tow hitch but only the area that contacts the towball. As said above if the Alko stabiliser is fitted a gentle abrasive pad/ emery then cleans up the friction pads in the Alko stabiliser.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
OP,

This may help, the friction pads are easy to remove and clean.

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/how-to/how-to-change-side-friction-pads.pdf
Brake cleaner aerosol and a light rubbing with fine emery paper usually suffices.

The tow-ball as Hutch said should be free from paintrust, again, emery paper polishes up the tow-ball nicely, then clean the tow-ball using brake cleaner and wipe off with clean tissue or cloth until no more contaminants show on the tissuecloths.

Aerosol brake cleaner (sometimes labelled brake and clutch cleaner) is readily available from car parts outlets and online, the cheaper versions work well for the purpose, keep a spare can in the car for regular cleaning of the tow-ball; grease and Alko friction pads are not best friends :blink:

Aug 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi,thanks for your reply’s but the noise seems to come from the caravan wheel area.It only does it in reverse.Its like a creaking noise when first goes into reverse.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Bigwebboswife said:
Hi,thanks for your reply’s but the noise seems to come from the caravan wheel area.It only does it in reverse.Its like a creaking noise when first goes into reverse.

OK, a brake problem it appears, unless you are technically competent with brake systems then regrettably you need to seek remedy from the supplier or a competent caravan technician, I suggest you have it checked out sooner rather than later.

It may only be a problem when reversing, but I wonder if the braking system is otherwise suspect, for peace of mind and your safety have it working as it should be (faultless).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bigwebboswife said:
Sounds expensive.

Use a service Center or independent mobile technician. The brakes are basically drum brakes and it’s probably only a service that they need. They may have been left on whilst being stored or not serviced fir a long time. So hopefully not too expensive a job. But a necessary one.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Really doubt it’s anything serious on a relatively new caravan - if it reverses without other issues I think I’d live with the sqweek - you definitely sure it’s not the coupling as already suggested

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Icaru5 said:
If anyone so much as mentions WD-40, I’ll set Craig on them ! :evil:

Ha ! Class . Just in from work (12.2o pm) and catching up on postings and yours Steve made me laugh !! Cheers !

No offenders yet Craig, but I’ll keep you posted ! :p

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Beehpee said:
https://s8.postimg.cc/cpiyif2id/44_CE6734-_AB39-4_ABA-_A416-_AD4_C0_D04687_C.png
Not sure how this will work but it should be an old WD40 advert that is quite amusing if some bright spark can make it visible.

BP

44_CE6734-_AB39-4_ABA-_A416-_AD4_C0_D04687_C.png

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Suggest you get it looked at fairly soon. A friend has just had a similar problem which eventually and expensively turned out to be a binding brake shoe which damaged the drum resulting in new components needed.
National Caravan Council and the Clubs have a scheme of Approved Workshops many of which offer mobile service i.e. they will come to where your caravan is rather than you taking it to them. This may be more convenient. The workshops are quality assessed.
The find you nearest just google something like NCC Approved Workshos

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts