St Helens to Criccieth via Mold & Ruthin

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Folks

In the near future we're taking our caravan down to Criccieth from our home in St Helens.

The "quickest" route on our Tom Tom is via the M56 and then the A55 dual carriageway "coastal" route to near Bangor and then on the A487 via Caernarfon - this is the route that we know well.

However, our Tom Tom, also suggests a shorter route via Mold and Ruthin and then the B5105 and B4407 to Porthmadog. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of towing on this route. What are the roads like. I was particularly wondering if it is better than the A55 in windy conditions, as the A55 is very exposed in places and winter winds seem to be starting now.

We are actually in the process of buying a retirement home in Criccieth and will be making this journey a number of times. As well as towing the caravan down there we will be travelling to and from Criccieth both solo and towing a small trailer.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tim, we have a van on a seasonal pitch near Abergele. We have often driven on various B roads in the area including to Mold( nice market) and Ruthin. I cannot specifically recall the two B roads you name, but many of them are very narrow, winding and hilly. Suggest you look at satellite pictures on google first. The A55 is going to be quicker imo.
Mel

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tim,
I am from St.Helens and untill recently lived next to Portmeirion {Porthmadog} for 20 years. For many of those years i towed a twin axle caravan.I always towed to /from the Southport C.C. site via Mold -Ruthin- Corwen-Bala-Porthmadog. Excellent journey and far better than A55 to Bangor and down the coast.Lovely views and a nice relaxing tow.The Ruhin to Bala road has a few sharp bends but nothing to worry about.
Enjoy the drive.
Hamer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts