stabiliser

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Virtually all stabilisers from the reputable firms, including the Snakemaster, if installed and adjusted properly, provide a degree of frictional dampening for added anti-snake protection. However, I find the stabilisers which are integrated in the coupling, such as the AlKo, more convenient to use as they require no special fittings on the towcar and they are equally effective. For total peace of mind, however, there's also the LEAS electronic stabiliser. At around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim,

In my opinion Jim,Bulldog stabilisers take a hell of a lot of beating the best I reckon.Like you wehave an Eldiss Hurricane EX300 we tow with a Vectra Diesel2.2 The Bulldog is easy to set up and it keeps our caravan nice and steady Good Luck.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try the Straightliner, available dealers & through SAS. Made by the South African engineer who developed the Trapezium. Can't be beaten.

Peter T

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim,

I'll vote with Bob for the Alko.

Got one with my last-but-one van - not my choice, but I was impressed. So when I changed vans I chose the Alko again.

Make sure you get the right model for your van - depends on the laden weight of the van.

The grease-free towball is wonderful - no more grease stains on my trousers!!

But you will need the change the towball on your car - a new one is supplied with the stabiliser (or at least it used to be). The replacement ball has a longer neck to allow clearance for the stabiliser hitch to lock on properly.

It's worth keeping the ball and the inside of the coupling nice and clean to prevent "squeaking" when turning corners at slow speed. I use a clean cloth and meths. Also useful to have cleaning materials available if youy have to get a tow off a muddy field from someone with a greasy tow hitch! It's vital to remove any traces of grease off the towball of the vehicle which is helping you out - I've found people quite understanding about this.

Good luck,

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

I fully agree with Pete T. I use a Straightliner, now marketed by SAS, although it is rather more expensive than other blade type stabilisers. I have towed my Avondale Landranger, large, twin axle thousands of miles all over the UK and continent without problem. This includes higher speed driving on French autoroutes. The gas strut of the stabiliser not only resist snaking but positively push the van back in line when necessary.

In a Caravanning Mag comparison test a couple of year ago the Straightliner beat the competition easily even when the experienced test drivers tried to induce snakes by dangerous driving.

Before the Straightliner I used a Bulldog blade stabiliser. The Straightliner is MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts