Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
really how much difference does a stabiliser do to your towing i have a vectra sri estate 2.5v6 and towed my caravan all over last yr with no probs just with the standard towball but after changing my car suspension my towing capability seems to have diminished so wot will a stabiliser now help me more

many thanks jason

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If your towing capability has diminished because of suspension changes then the suspension has to be suspect.

What do you define by "diminished"?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jason,

A stabiliser should never be used to make an inherently unstable outfit towable. If you have such an outfit you must address the problem by checking all other factors such as suspension, tyres and loading.

The stabiliser should only ever be used as a belt and braces to add safety, rather than to create it in the first place.

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
If your towing capability has diminished because of suspension changes then the suspension has to be suspect.

What do you define by "diminished"?
as last year towing was never a problem i could pull like it was not there now i feel its not safe the car has too much movement in it i did a 100m yesterday and wasnt to bad but didnt really go over 50-55 on the motorway there was hardly anything in the caravan all laden in the car ive got a distnace off 330m next wk in was wondering what would be best

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
What changes have you made to the suspension?
hi just uprated the shocks from the standards cause they were getting tired and put hardened springs on cos sometimes i carry abit of weight in it i thought it would have made it handle better

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Vectra SRi has lowered, stiffened, sports suspension as normal - in "uprating" you may have gone too far or altered the balance front/rear. Even adjustable sports dampers on their softest setting are much harder than even SRi dampers.

Provided you weren't overloading, the standard rear suspension should have coped with any load regime.

As you're now getting problems towing, I'd revert to normal SRi suspension.

I do have a reasonable idea of the cost involved so I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the best advice I can give.

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
The Vectra SRi has lowered, stiffened, sports suspension as normal - in "uprating" you may have gone too far or altered the balance front/rear. Even adjustable sports dampers on their softest setting are much harder than even SRi dampers.

Provided you weren't overloading, the standard rear suspension should have coped with any load regime.

As you're now getting problems towing, I'd revert to normal SRi suspension.

I do have a reasonable idea of the cost involved so I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the best advice I can give.
thanks so i guess buying a stabiliser is not the answer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts