Stabilisers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just purchased a new caravan with a Al-Ko 2004 stabiliser combined into the hitch. Previously I have always used the "leaf spring" type. As the spring adds additional downward pressure and helps with the ride height - is it possible ( & safe ) to use both types at the same time ? - I would appreciate any feedback.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
One should not fit 2 frictional stabilisers as this results in a doubling of the forces acting on the towbar. This may be too much for the vehicle's underbody structure, resulting in possible material failure. The only type of stabiliser which you may use in addition to a frictional one, regardless of whether it is a leaf spring or integral type, is an electronic stabiliser.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, last year we purchased our first new caravan, complete with Winterhof type stabilizer. I had removed the old "Spring" type from our old van but found that it wasnt necessary. This type of Hitch stabilizer is in my opinion far more superior to any of the previous offerings.

We have just returned from a 1500 mile trip through France, Spain and Andora, the stabilizer hasnt given any problems and is reassuring whilst towing, if you have any doubts send me an e-mail direct, BAZZ.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It would be risky to follow Bazz's response. Whilst I don't doubt that he had no problems, he may have just been lucky. There is no denying that fitting 2 frictional stabilsers increases the loads on the towbar and vehicle underbody. No-one will accept responsibility in case these lead to a part failure and, if it's a relatively new car, it could invalidate the vehicle warranty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts