Standard Awning Rail/Cord Size?

Jan 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm actually located in New Zealand and own an NZ made caravan but it needs a new awning. Trouble is, almost all new awnings for sale here are UK made, but UK and NZ awning rail diameters seem to differ (10.5mm vs 6mm vs 8mm)?

Can anyone confirm for me which diameter awning rail I should be replacing ours with, if I want a size 14 UK made awning and its cord to fit?

Thanks so much!
Cheers.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I don’t know the answer. Do you have awning/tent repair places that could replace the Kador (awning cord) on an awning, rather than getting a new awning rail?
Mel

Jan 30, 2023
Visit site
Sorry, I don’t know the answer. Do you have awning/tent repair places that could replace the Kador (awning cord) on an awning, rather than getting a new awning rail?
Mel

Thanks, and yes they exist but the original awning is completely stuffed (the caravan is 35 years old) hence the requirement to buy a replacement.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think I am right in saying that standard awning rails in the UK are 8mm. 4mm is used for ancillary items ie blinds. For example. a Fiamma pull-out awning has 8mm on the awning bag and a 4mm slot on the front of the awning to add a blind.

I have not heard of a 10.5mm so guess it is perhaps an NZ size.

If I read your post correctly, then you will have a 10.5 rail.

Options as I see it. Select an awning you like and ask the manufacturer. Perhaps they can make yours to suit your size or supply without a cord so you can have one fitted locally.

Have you tried asking local dealers? They should be able to provide a full answer and perhaps a workaround.

John

Jan 30, 2023
Visit site
I think I am right in saying that standard awning rails in the UK are 8mm. 4mm is used for ancillary items ie blinds. For example. a Fiamma pull-out awning has 8mm on the awning bag and a 4mm slot on the front of the awning to add a blind.

I have not heard of a 10.5mm so guess it is perhaps an NZ size.

If I read your post correctly, then you will have a 10.5 rail.

Options as I see it. Select an awning you like and ask the manufacturer. Perhaps they can make yours to suit your size or supply without a cord so you can have one fitted locally.

Have you tried asking local dealers? They should be able to provide a full answer and perhaps a workaround.

John

Many thanks, yes the existing rail is 10.5mm dia and I'm happy with removing it (fishing line as per another post) and replacing with an 8mm rail. I have re-contacted a local company but because they make custom awnings, I'm still keen to see if UK awnings are 8mm before I go ahead and look at purchasing one of those from a local supplier.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS