Standard of roads

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just back from 5 days in Derbyshire, can't believe how good their roads are, virtually no potholes and smooth surface, back to Glos/Wilts van was bouncing around all over the place as usual, so top marks to Derbyshire Highways

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Ha! We've just come back from a tour of the south which included the London area. People in said London area don't even know what potholes are - there aren't any!

Now we know the difference between within and outside the M25......

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just back from 5 days in Derbyshire, can't believe how good their roads are, virtually no potholes and smooth surface, back to Glos/Wilts van was bouncing around all over the place as usual, so top marks to Derbyshire Highways

You sure you were in Derbyshire, its absolutely awful here for road quality. Not only do we have no money for repairs, but much of Derbyshire is over old mine workings and with these mowkins no longer being maintained there is subsidence everywhere. As I believe it, we have more sinkholes than most other counties. As the substrata dries out after an awful winter, everything is sinking shrinking and cracking. Nope, you werent in Derbyshire.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We are just back from 10 days in Lincolnshire, no potholes worth speaking of. Driving home as soon as we got to Glos/wilts pot hole city!!. The road through the Cotswold water park is more hole than road.
Would strongly recommend Dakota park cl if you like plane spotting. On the end of RAF Coningsby runway. Can get a little noisy when the Tornados are on evening/night shift. Nice to see the Battle of Britain flight coming and going and practising.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Noticed many potholes coming back from Dorset today to the east mids, but we saw a really big hole in the side of Sutton Scotney service area , it was ram raided early this morning and the cash machine was removed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just back from over three weeks touring and the potholes were everywhere. The roads are a disgrace but then again I have hit similar in France on the motorway so we will just have to grin and bear it.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Too many vehicles of a commercial variety using our highways especially on major trunk roads - generally don’t have these issues in countries like Germany/Austria/Switzerland - seems that Blighty doesn’t have enough in the cash pot to maintain our highways effectively

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thosoneill said:
Too many vehicles of a commercial variety using our highways especially on major trunk roads - generally don’t have these issues in countries like Germany/Austria/Switzerland - seems that Blighty doesn’t have enough in the cash pot to maintain our highways effectively

Surely if we want food fuel and goods delivered then there little alternative to commercial vehicle using our roads. I’ve been on RN in France and some 15 or so years back I detoured onto the autoroute because of the never ending chain of lorries on the RN. Like it or not commercial vehicles are a fact of life. Exacerbated by our predilection for on line deliveries too.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Much of the freight on the continent is handled by the rail and river network - the transport infrastructure abroad seems far superior than the U.K.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Transport on the continent is taken seriously and the drivers treated with respect with national traiing programmes in place for people coming in to the industry, don't upset anyFrench lorry drivers because the job will stop, in all my years on the road we only ever came close to a natioal drivers strike and that was in the late 70's, try finding decent paking up facilites in the UK they just do not exist on a national level, and I bet you would be the first to moan about no bread on the shelves and no fuel at the pumps,

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Latvia, improved unsurfaced road, no potholes.

25862313081_591d1b020b_c.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m glad that the road shown has been improved. Shudder to think what one of the largish bits of stone would do to a windscreen. Think I will take my chance with UK potholes keeps your brain active in trying to spot and avoid them but delaying so you can snare the car behind into hitting the pothole. (TIC) :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In response top the Latvian picture,

I have travelled in British Columbia in Canada, Most of the main routes are properly laid asphalt, But there must be thousands of miles of dirt and chipping tracks which are recognised roads not just forest tracks.

They are very dusty in Summer, and they do produce a lot of tyre noise. But there're often quite derivable up to 60MPH. unless your in a convoy when lower speeds will help to reduce stone kick up. Twin Wheeled lorries are the big ones for throwing up stones even at lower speeds, and many cars and pickups do have chipped or cracked windows. But they don't seem to change them until they actually shatter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
In response top the Latvian picture,

I have travelled in British Columbia in Canada, Most of the main routes are properly laid asphalt, But there must be thousands of miles of dirt and chipping tracks which are recognised roads not just forest tracks.

They are very dusty in Summer, and they do produce a lot of tyre noise. But there're often quite derivable up to 60MPH. unless your in a convoy when lower speeds will help to reduce stone kick up. Twin Wheeled lorries are the big ones for throwing up stones even at lower speeds, and many cars and pickups do have chipped or cracked windows. But they don't seem to change them until they actually shatter.

When I had an exchange job in Canada I had some business in Calgary and took a few days leave to drive the Icefields Parkway. I hired an Avis equivalent of UK Vauxhall’s Chevette. On returning from Jasper to Calgary I took the car down many miles of unpacked gravel roads and although traffic was scant, it being snow melt time, that little car acquired a multitude of chips. Fortunately it was in the days when Car hire companies took it in their stride.

TRENDING THREADS