Standard Tow ball

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
If you have an old Dixon-Bate coupling on your van then Yes, it needs grease. But if your van is comparatively new with an Alko or Winterhoff coupling with built in stabilizer pads then No. In fact the ball should be wiped with a rag moistened with brake cleaner to give it grip and keep it quiet.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Remember to remove the paint from the tow ball hitch. If you have the Alko hitch , then it is nessacary to have an Alko compatabile tow ball with the deeper throatl

Hutch.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Or a clean standard ball with a two inch spacer in place. If swapping between van with hitch stabiliser and a trailer without, a good strong plastic bag greased on the outside over the ball can be a quick answer to the problem of having to clean it each time

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to all, as it's the old type of hitch I will now get it greased before our trip. This is what is great about this forum lot's of help and great advice from a great membership.

Best Regards Dave.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've never heard of that one! I always thought the problem with ALKO hitch and "standard" ball was the lack of clearance between the ball and the neck- which a spacer wouldn't solve? Also is fitting a two inch spacer legal in these days of type approval for towbars?

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
MikeG2 said:
Also is fitting a two inch spacer legal in these days of type approval for towbars?

I doubt it (unless the spacer is also type-approved as an accessory for the towbar, or is on a vehicle first used before 1998)

AFAIK - the issue is clearance "around" the ball for the extra "bulk" of the stabiliser head - I.e between ball and vehicle / bracket.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Abinitio1989 said:
AFAIK - the issue is clearance "around" the ball for the extra "bulk" of the stabiliser head - I.e between ball and vehicle / bracket.

Correct this varies according to the stabiliser.

AKS 1300 = 65mm
AKS 2004 = 67mm
AKS 2007 = 60mm
AKS 3004 = 68mm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts